1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wifi problem with Android Tablet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JimReid, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimReid

JimReid Thread Starter

Here's a problem that nobody seems to know the answer for.

I have a home wifi that works great. We have a couple notebooks and various other equipment (printers, etc) that run on it great.

My problem is with my Asus eee Pad SL101 tablet. I can connect to my wifi but can't get out to the internet. My wifi router is the isp's (Comcast) and all the other devices can get on the internet except my tablet.

I also have a android phone (LG Optimus V) that can work as a hotspot and does. I can connect my tablet to the hotspot on the phone and all works fine but a bit slower than my wifi in the house.

Both the hotspot and the wifi have security codes and both work fine, just can't get the tablet to go out on the internet.

Now the really crazy part. When I connect my tablet to the wife, I get the challenge for the password and then it connects to the router, gets and IP address from DHCP and appears to be connected. I can even go to the configuration on the router from the tablet and look at it. The icon on the table stays grey (the icon shows the strength of the signal) and would normally turn blue when connected to the internet. This I know because when I connect via my phone hotspot it does that (turns blue).

I have checked the router configuration to insure that nothing is filtered out (i.e. mac addresses, etc). When I look at what is connected on the router configuration I don't see the tablet. When I do an IP scan from my notebook I see the tablet is connected and has a valid IP address (10.0.0.6) issued from DHCP.

I have Comcast as an ISP and I tend not to call them because it always goes overseas and I can't understand them. They always treat you like an idiot too and take you through steps to reset the router, etc that aren't necessary.

I have even changed the DHCP IP addresses on my phone to the same as on my wifi to see if that made a difference and it doesn't seem to. My hotspot was 192.168.1.1 and my wifi is 10.0.0.1 I made them both 10.0.0.1 and it didn't change anything. I changed the passwords to be the same for the encription but that didn't make any difference. I looked for filters for Mac addresses, etc and couldn't find any.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim:mad:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    log into the router and remove the wireless security and now see if it connects and works - if it does - log nack in and put the security back on and see if it now connects and works

3. JimReid

JimReid Thread Starter

I had already tried that with the removal of the security and it didn't help. What I did find out is that there is a parental control section. That section had all the devices listed EXCEPT my tablet so I removed all the devices and it started working. Don't know how that was setup since I'm a senior and there are no kids here and I never put any parental controls on anything but at least it is fixed.

Thanks for the response.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    excellent (y) thanks for taking the time to let us know - very useful information , I will try and remember for future issues like this

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice