1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: wifi problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EPICCARROT, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EPICCARROT

EPICCARROT Thread Starter

Hi guys

I had a slight spillage on the keyboard of my hp pavillion dv7. Everything else is fine but the keyboard is out of order.
    Unfortunately the wifi toggle was in the off position when this happened.
    I need to find a way to switch my wifi back on without the use of the laptop's internal keyboard.

Things I have tried:

1. A netsh batch
    2. Sharp keys key-mapper (It won't work unless I have the wifi key's source code)
    3. On screen display (It's the program's name, 3rd party program)
    4. Windows mobility center, which wouldn't turn on the wifi because its turned off on the keyboard.

I would appreciate it if you would please suggest something else (I do not have enough money to buy a new keyboard)

Is there A batch or a script or a program I can try.

Thanks for the help guys

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it's the F12 or other function key (not a special, separate key) try the On-Screen keyboard or an external one.

I think I've come across an integrated adapter or two which can be turned on/off via a property in Device Manager (right click on the adapter in Device Manager - Properties - Advanced tab. ).

How have you determined that the wireless adapter did not die along with the keyboard? I assume you made sure it is not noticeably wet and have removed and reinserted it several times to clean the contacts.

3. EPICCARROT

EPICCARROT Thread Starter

Thank you very much Terry but I've managed to fix the problem.

I had a plan to perhaps take the hard drive out, boot on another laptop using a windows 7 disc and the press 'that' laptop's wifi button.

Turns out it actually worked, but still, I do appreciate the feedback you're the first in ten different forums.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Interesting fix. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice