1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WIFI speed fluctuation

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pcfeer, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

Hi, my laptops wifi speed drops from 54Mbps down to 1Mbps which is often causing me to disconnect from web application etc I am currently using a usb wifi dongle and the speed does not drop from 54Mbps which has made me believe the problem lies with the laptops internal wifi settings, after re installing my internal wifi's driver to a more recent version the problem is still the same, I am using a lenovo t61 laptop and my wirless router is a D-LINK DSL-240R, please help with any suggestions on how to fix my internal wifi so that its speed is a constant 54Mbps as my 2 other laptops and notebooks are all at 54Mbps, because of this I believe this is an isolated problem. Many thanks :)

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

you mention USB wifi dongle and internal wifi - most laptops have an internal wifi - why do you have the additional USB adapter
    there maybe conflict in the utilities managing those wireless adapters

can we see a xirrus screen shot and also a device manager screen shot
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/ or
    if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal

Device Manager
    Post back the results in device manager
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the screen shot and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

how to access device manager for different windows versions
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

if this does not work then -

Windows 7 or Vista
    Click on the Start Orb
    In the Start Search box type
    device manager and then press enter

-------------------

Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    ----
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

-----
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f136/how-to-use-windows-device-manager-655905.html

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Lenovo's web site.

5. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

Hi, I am using a wifi dongle so that I can use the laptop with the internal wifi problem at 54Mbps there is no conflcit between the 2 devices as I have never used the dongle until now, the fluctuation in the wifi speed is only on the internal wifi and although in my screenshot it shows 54Mbps it often decreases and increase like this 54 - 34 - 28 -18... all the way down to 1Mbps and then will just go up and down to 48, 54 etc etc as stated I have 2 other laptops working fine over wireless and like the wifi dongle all keep to a constant 54Mbps yet this laptop does not my SSID in the xirrus screenshot is the DSL12345 which I renamed but is actually a D-LINK DSl-240R. please note that if in these screenshots all appears to be fine with the 54Mbps I am not mistaken and this fluctuation does occur on the status page it just happens to be at the time of taking the screenshots that it was stable. Many thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

6. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

you have another signal on channel 1 so i would log into the router and change the wireless signal to use channel 6 or 11

also as pointed out by TerryNet - make sure you have the latest drivers for the adapters
    dont understand
    also on the device manager only 1 wireless device is showing
    which I guess you removed the USB as the internal device is the issue

7. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

I have changed to channel 6 but the problem still occurs and also I am using a wifi dongle so I can use the laptop that has the internal problem normally

8. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

have you updated the driver ?

9. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

yes the driver is the most recent available

10. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

can we see another xirrus screen shot

11. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

I managed to take the shot during the fluctuation which you can see in the image name xirrus wifi2 if this helps

Attached Files:

12. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

they look ok

try a tcp/ip reset and if that does not help - then reinstall the adapter

Uninstall and allow windows to re-install the adapter and Driver
    I would goto device manager and right click on the adapter and uninstall/remove and then restart the PC and let windows re-detect the hardware and reinstall the driver

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7

Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter

ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log and press enter

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

ReStart (reboot) the machine.

Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

13. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

Hi I tried those commands and reinstalling the wifi driver but the fluctuation still occurs, I am using a DSL-2640R which often disconnects from the internet but I believed this was a separate event but now would like to include the router as a possible cause if this can have an effect on speed fluctuations?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You have not yet confirmed that you have done this. Many things can cause your speed fluctuations. The most common cause, especially with an Intel adapter I think, is incorrect driver.

15. pcfeer

pcfeer Thread Starter

Hi, sorry for being unclear but I did download and install a wifi driver from lenovos website however there are 2 available for windows 7, firstly "Intel Wireless LAN (bg, abg, abgn) for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP - ThinkPad" and second "Intel Wireless LAN (11bgn) for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad", I had downloaded and installed the first named driver however I may be mistaken but it seemed that during installation their may have been some kind of intervention by a windows update which seemed to install an intel driver however I am unsure of this but when checking on the device manager properties for the driver and all licences and names are either intel or microsoft which does suggest I have an intel one installed but I am not sure if this is what lenovo was offering?

16. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Seems like one of those drivers should have included "4965AGN.," so the one you downloaded seems right. Wouldn't hurt to install again just to make sure.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069536