1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wifi stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by johnp4455, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnp4455

johnp4455 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have just upgraded to windows 8 from Vista and my wifi has stopped working, i have an Advent 9117 laptop with 1gb of memory , 120 gb hard drive and an intel pentium dual core t2310 1.46 ghz, all my other items like my tablet and desktop pc are all working so the virginmedia superhub is working correctly, i keep getting messages stating that my wifi is turned off and to switch it back on but it,s definately on.
    Can you help please.
    Thankyou
    John Pemberton :confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you toggle the wireless off and back on what indication(s) do you get that the Wi-Fi was indeed turned off and back on? What is the wireless switch on this PC?

What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters?

What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

3. johnp4455

johnp4455 Thread Starter

Hi,
    Got it sorted thank you, i just uninstalled the network card, rebooted the machine and it sorted itself out.

4. eenwahs

eenwahs

Hey, i'm still having this problem. I've tried many of the things on the forums e.g making sure the power management settings are unticked for the network adapters. I've tried disabling the norton anti virus to see if that helped and it did nothing. It seems to be quite a common problem. It just constantly goes from full signal to limited where as the two other laptops in the house have full signal and never lose it and i've never had this problem in the 6 years i've been using a laptop for the internet. Someone please help :(

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!