1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Wiimax and Belkin Router Problem.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tharshan, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

Hi,

I can connect to internet if I connect the Wiimax Broadbad cable from the modem (alvarion wiimax modem which my ISP gave) to my pc directly.

but when I connect trough my Broadband router its giving DNS server not responding errors,etc

Can someone help me with this ?

I called the ISP few times and they gave me the DNS to put but it didnt help.. and they told its better to use Automatic DNS.
    and I tried to clone the MAC address also.. my ISP said its not a problem too.

They told me to use PPOE connection type and gave me the logins and pass ,etc .. the basic things are ok..

I've disabled the firewall in both Pc,Router..

Everything worked until last week.. and suddenly its stopped working.
    So I bought a new router and I tried normal restart, hard reset and everything. now its a brand new router.

Thanks.

2. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

please help me on this.. i spent 3 days with this and no luck !

3. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

I tired with a Old Wired US Robotics ADSL router as switch and it worked fine ! so something strange did happen to the Belkin router !? how comes I tried 2 Belkin routers.. 1 ADSL router as switch and another Broadband router as normally. both stopped working !?

I tired the same in 2 PC..both are running in Win 7.

4. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

This is my model..Belkin Surf Wireless Router F7D2301

I've even tried to connect it as a switch..its not working. but it worked for me before with my old router.. now both are stopped working ! can the modem cause this problem ?? (that small box "Alavarion" which connects the cable coming from the WiiMax antena)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show the following for a PC connected to the modem and connected to the router while the router is properly connected to the modem. Remember to power cycle the modem when switching the device connected to it.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

6. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

Currently I've connected the router via Ethernet cable. (its a wireless router, I disable the wifi to make the problems simple it shows as "Local Area Connection" hope that is OK for you)

And the router's IP is : 192.168.2.1
    DCHP allowed in router configs.
    I tried to disable IPV6 and other filters also.

Thanks...

7. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you. Probably I should have been more clear in my initial reply. I also want to see the ipconfig /all for the PC connected to the modem.

9. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

Please wait a moment..

The internet is working when i connect the modem directly to pc.. so i wanted to switch the cables to reply you :)

This is what I'm having now.. with internet connection working on.. directly connected.

10. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

Here I've connected the cable directly .. and created a Broadband PPOE connection with username,password and dialed it to connect to the internet..

11. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

I tried to power cycle a lot of times and I think I'm correctly doing this.. I followed this step.

http://www.labnol.org/tech/power-cycle-modem-router/13625/

Thanks for your replies.. You guys solved me some problems before also :)

Sorry for making more replies..

I just wanted to say you that I use a dynamic IP connection.. with PPOE username,password settings..

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, that's the correct way to power cycle. And, truthfully, most times all you have to do is unplug the modem for 30 seconds. Make sure your modem does not have a battery backup, as that would obviously defeat the purpose of the power cycle.

Your router's WAN status (the second screen shot from post # 7) shows an IP of 0.0.0.0. That implies to me that the router's WAN port is defective or that your ISP is trying to assign a duplicate IP address.

I suggest (assuming we didn't find a battery above) that you download the latest router firmware while you have internet access. Then connect to the router (by ethernet) and update the firmware if it is not the latest. Secondly, if you could try connecting the router to somebody else's network--could be a LAN port of their router--you could find out if the router's WAN port is defective. To connect to another router the WAN would just use a dynamic connection.

EDIT: The reason for the firmware upgrade is in case Belkin has a bad interface (driver) for the WAN and has fixed it in an update.

13. tharshan

tharshan Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've already upgraded the firmware today.

and yes.. its all 00. but when I use one of my old US Robotics router it works as a switch perfectly.

what shall I do now ?

And if its defective I can replace the router for free, but how comes my other Belkin routers also stopped working suddenly ? Is this can be still a ISP problem ?
    And the router is not working as a switch also..but it worked before.. (connecting both PC and the Modem cables in Wired 1 , Wired 2 Ethernet ports)

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Belkin would probably work as a switch and wireless access point also, but that doesn't help you if you are trying to use multiple computers/devices.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hey, just for the heck of it, put that Robotics used as a switch between the modem and router. There is an outside chance that (for reasons unknown) the Belkin's WAN and the modem's ethernet just won't communicate; sticking a switch in the middle would solve that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice