Solved: Will a 2.4X DVDRW Record on a 4X DVDRW Disc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hulk701

Banned
Hey Gang,

I have a DVDRW that rewrites at 2.4. Yesterday I was sold a set of disks that says 4x on the package. No range of speeds, just 4x. The guy who sold them to me said they'd work in my machine but they'd just record slower.

IS this true or was I given a line by someone who just was trying to make a sale and get my money back?

Thanks,
HULK:(

Yes, he did tell you the truth. They will work, but they will not record any slower. At least you won't notice it. I am not sure you will find anymore 2.4x DVDs anymore! You will be okay and you should be able to use the 8x DVDs also. Of course, if you can keep getting 4x DVDs keep getting them as long as the price is lower than the 8x DVDs.

MysticEyes

Banned
pinntech said:
Yes, he did tell you the truth. They will work, but they will not record any slower. At least you won't notice it. I am not sure you will find anymore 2.4x DVDs anymore! You will be okay and you should be able to use the 8x DVDs also. Of course, if you can keep getting 4x DVDs keep getting them as long as the price is lower than the 8x DVDs.
I doubt it.

Hulk701

Banned
Thanks Mystic Eyes,

I judged too quickly. The DVDRW's didn't work. If you have an 8x disk writer you can use 4x disks but you can't go up. That's what I was asking. I should have made myself more clear.

Thanks Pinhead....:confused:

MysticEyes

Banned
I'm still bit confused by you posts.

Am I to assume you are buying rewritable DVDs and you burner supports these at 2.4X but the only ones you can find now are 4X? Are you buying +RWs?

I judged too quickly. The DVDRW's didn't work. If you have an 8x disk writer you can use 4x disks but you can't go up. That's what I was asking.
Still a very confusing question. What is the model number/brand/specs of your burner?

What is very often the case, new media will not work in older burners regardless of what speed you choose to burn at (usually). The burner's firmware, which identifies the disc and then uses the appropriate write strategy was written years before and has no stategies for today's media.

Folks are often confused by terms like "2X - 16X" that they might see on 16X discs and assume this means that they will burn at 4X in their older 4X burner. Nope. What it means is if you have a 16X burner you can choose to burn at a slower speed. pinntech's confusing post is basically incorrect.

Hulk701

Banned
MysticEyes said:
I'm still bit confused by you posts.

Am I to assume you are buying rewritable DVDs and you burner supports these at 2.4X but the only ones you can find now are 4X? Yes Are you buying +RWs? Yes

Still a very confusing question. What is the model number/brand/specs of your burner?

What is very often the case, new media will not work in older burners regardless of what speed you choose to burn at (usually). The burner's firmware, which identifies the disc and then uses the appropriate write strategy was written years before and has no stategies for today's media.

Folks are often confused by terms like "2X - 16X" that they might see on 16X discs and assume this means that they will burn at 4X in their older 4X burner. Nope. What it means is if you have a 16X burner you can choose to burn at a slower speed. pinntech's confusing post is basically incorrect.
Thanks Mystic,

Its an
NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A

HULK!

MysticEyes

Banned
NEC DVD_RW ND-1300A
An antique :)... Maybe you should donate it to the Smithsonian.

You will be hard pressed to find media for it these days. Best to just move to a new burner that should burn most media out there. Assuming you have software OEM drives can be had for about $30 these days.

Peruse these reviews for a new one and note which tested discs produced good burns.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online