1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will a system recovery disk from another laptop work on another one?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PrinceRameses, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrinceRameses

PrinceRameses Thread Starter

My sister's laptop is pretty much ruined by a virus and win 7 needs re-installing. She lost her recovery disks, but I have mine from my laptop. Will this work? Her's is dell and mine is a compaq. The specs are basically the same.

And is there a built in sustem recovery? I tried system restore and it failed, I believe, due to the virus.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your discs would probably not work with her computer.

If you want to restore her Dell laptop back to how Dell sold it, when the computer is turned on or rebooted, immediately press the CRTL and F11 keys at the same time and you may be able to enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility. Running Restore will loose all of her files and any programs she had installed after getting it from Dell.

3. PrinceRameses

Right, this is what I was trying to access, but could not find it. I will try this in a while. Thanks.

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

If that doesnt work try booting into f8,select repair computer then navigate to "dell factory image"

5. PrinceRameses

I could not find a built in recovery for that computer. I later discovered, however, that the system restore worked even though it said it didn't. So issue resolved.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice