Solved: Will a system recovery disk from another laptop work on another one?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PrinceRameses

My sister's laptop is pretty much ruined by a virus and win 7 needs re-installing. She lost her recovery disks, but I have mine from my laptop. Will this work? Her's is dell and mine is a compaq. The specs are basically the same.

And is there a built in sustem recovery? I tried system restore and it failed, I believe, due to the virus.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your discs would probably not work with her computer.

If you want to restore her Dell laptop back to how Dell sold it, when the computer is turned on or rebooted, immediately press the CRTL and F11 keys at the same time and you may be able to enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility. Running Restore will loose all of her files and any programs she had installed after getting it from Dell.

PrinceRameses

Right, this is what I was trying to access, but could not find it. I will try this in a while. Thanks.

aka Brett

Banned
If that doesnt work try booting into f8,select repair computer then navigate to "dell factory image"

PrinceRameses

I could not find a built in recovery for that computer. I later discovered, however, that the system restore worked even though it said it didn't. So issue resolved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online