1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: will be doing a complete system recovery, have ?s

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by larryh10000, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

My grandson has a 17 inch HP laptop running Windows 8.1. It is full of malware, viruses, runs slow, popups all over the place, and on and on. Processor: AMD A8-4500M APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.90 GHZ ------- RAM 6.00 GB (5.47 GB usable ----------- System Type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor.

In the "System Settings" the computer offers two options:
    1. Refresh your PC without affecting your photos, music, videos, and personal files.
    2. Remove everything and re-install windows.

I'm leaning towards option 2.

I realize I will lose everything and it will book up just as it was when he took it out of the box. He is okay with that and doesn't have anything on it that he needs or that is important.

After the computer wipes everything out and re-installs the OS and boots back up I will need to set everything up again, as if it where the first time.

I do not have any OS Installation CDs, so I guess it must have a recovery drive that has everything it needs to restore the computer to its original factory settings.

QUESTION:
    I do have the Windows Activation Product ID number in case it asks for that. Anything else that I need that the set up might need or ask for?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you should be able to create a recovery set of DVDs or a USB drive
    I use a non sandisk 32GB USB drive - which is recommended by HP
    Sometimes you can only create the usb and NOT the DVDs (even if you have a DVD writer)

you may need some drivers - which should be available from the HP support site

I would run belarc on the PC and get some hardware info
    also Speccy would be useful to
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    and print out
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy

3. Agye

Agye

to your question: Nope you don't need anything else apart from the product key. I agree with etaf try to backup the files before but if you think the computer is that clean you can use the option 1 but you know you never know huh!!

4. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

I went with option 2, but before I made that decision I downloaded MalwareBytes and ran it - half way through I already had 161 malwares detected. Also, popups were opening in all directions, computer was at a crawl and I also discovered that my grandson uninstalled Internet Explorer which I think is pretty well embedded in the OS. Anyway it was a total miss.

I have successfully restored the computer to the condition I gave it to him (brand new) about 2 years ago. BTW, I forgot to mention he had let his antivirus software subscription run out. He had no virus protection at all, not even Window Defender.

Everything turned out really nice and I gave it back to him this morning (with a few words of advice as what to not do going forward). Thanks to you all who have taken the time to respond.

Larry :)

5. Agye

Agye

you know our grandpa's they never listen haha. glad option 2 helped and can you check the thread as solved if you haven't done so?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice