1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will eSATA run at 6.0gbps in a PCI-E x1 slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CJS23, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

Hi

I'm confused. I am looking to expand my computer tower's capabilities so as to have an eSATA external port.

I have found a card at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-eSATA-2...ltDomain_0&hash=item27bba162b4#ht_3036wt_1189

This has raised a couple of questions from the specs they give ....

Stable and reliable chipset ASMEDIA ASM1061 .
    Compliant with Serial ATA Revision 3.0 specification.
    Compliant with Single-Lane (x1) PCI Express specification revision 1.0.
    Data transfer rate up to 750MB/s (6.0Gbps).
    Supports 2.5Gbps PCI-E bus with full duplex channel.
    Supports two independent SATA 3.0 channels. (Supports 2 SATA devices at the same time.)

Will this Controller Card run at maximum speed if plugged into a PCI-E x1 slot?

I have a Gigabyte GA-965-DS3 Rev 3.3 mobo with F14 BIOS

I seem to be going round in circles within Google / Forums etc and wondered if there are any definitive FAQs which would further my understanding of SATA / SATA-II / SATA-III and eSATA.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The drive, IF equipped with SATA 6Gbs, will transfer to the card at the full speed but the card will transfer to the system at the slower 2.5Gbs. Now that isn't really a problem as there's no mechanical drive and very few SSD's that can achieve sustained speeds that exceed that aside for the quick burst speed which isn't all that important.

3. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. It will mostly be used for creating Clonezilla drive backups of friends / customer's Hard Drives for safety.

Is the 2.5Gbps fairly standard? The reason for asking is that I am likely to upgrade my mobo before I would upgrade any PCI Card / peripherals I will purchase and may as well get something as future proof as possible :)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why not just buy a motherboard that supports eSATA 6Gbps(eSATA 3)?

2.5Gbps is standard PCI-Express x1, PCI-Express is pretty much backward and forward compatible between all the revisions and slot sizes, ie. a PCI-Express x1 version 1.0a card will work in a PCI-Express x16 version 3.0 slot and even the opposite can be true, but its up to the manufacturer to implement all the signalling types though.

5. CJS23

CJS23 Thread Starter

:) I think you're right, I've ordered the PCI Card anyways, as that's all my current budget will allow. That said, you've persuaded me that an eSATA 3 mobo is the way forward.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Regards

Chris

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!