1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will Kodak DX7590 work with software from DX6340?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by alaninevanston, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alaninevanston

alaninevanston Thread Starter

Computer and camera challenged here! I had a Kodak DX6340 that died a sudden death and left me a Version 5.0.2 software disk. I purchased a Kodak DX7590 which came with a version 4.0.2 disk. I am in XP and did well with the DX6340 and software. Will that same software recognize my DX7590 or do I need to remove it and install version 4.0.2 which sounds like an older version? I guess (I think) the question really is: "is Kodak easyshare software all the same" or do I need to do a removal/installation?
    Thanks (obviously I am challenged).

2. wowzer

wowzer

XP should recognize the camera regaurdless of any software. The software you use to view / edit your pictures is your choice.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

As Wowzer has hinted ....
    Now might be a good time to quit using Kodak Easy Share ... And find something better.

Many of the Easy Share problems here at TSG have been solved by not using Easy Share ... (removing it)
    And Kodak might quit making cameras like they have their printers.
    Your next camera might be a Sony :D :D

4. alaninevanston

Thanks! So I really don't need the software and can remove it and let XP do all the work?
    That would be awesome because the software is regularly "butting in for updates" and really is a pain!
    Again, after 10-years I've been "politely called computer challenged" but actually feel "computer ignorant"!
    Alan

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The Kodak (any Camera) should show up in XP's "My Computer" when connected via USB ....
    Where the pics can be transferred from the camera (Copy > Paste or Drag > Drop) as if it were just an external drive.

You may want to use a different Image Viewer .. there are many good freeware Choices to replace Easy Share with ...
    Freeware Image viewer suggestions .. I prefer Irfanview

6. alaninevanston

Thank you soooo much, Noyb!

You don't know how much I have (actually) learned with your help. I have followed the links and learned even more.
    I do have one other Kodak (of course) issue. I have the ESP 5210 because it fit my budget (or lack of). It scans & prints excellent but it is not into scanning and sending to file at all! I had several medical files I wanted to put into my computer for a later day transfer to disk. When I opened them (using default PDF) the files were nothing but a page of "garbled numbers". I asked Kodak support about this anf they returned me a link to the manual and it doesn't say anything. I think all communication wit Kodak is in some 3rd world country because I can never get a straight answer or one I can understand.Have you any ideas (since it's probably me)? Using XP with Chrome.
    Again thanx!,
    Alan

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

What file format are the medical files ???

How do you want them in your computer ... as pictures or text files ????
    There is a way to read pictures of words and create a text file called OCR
    You can do this with Microsoft office .. Or I could do it for you.

8. alaninevanston

I guess, text files. Kodak uses PDF as the default and sends only numbers garbled. If I (remember) to change PDF to RTF they will show in the file poorly. I just want the file to look like what I put on the scanner.
    Aren't you glad you aren't my next door neighbor?
    Again thanx,
    Alan

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Why don't you try scanning to a jpg or a gif file and see if that's better.
    a jpg format might be better for a color photograph ... and a gif file for a text document.
    These formats will be for making them a picture of a text document ... and not an editable text document.

10. alaninevanston

Cool, again I thank you and have downloaded the viewer as well!
    Alan

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'm guessing Kodak's scanner procedures might be confusing you - and you should be using a better format.
    If you've downloaded Ifranview .... I use it to run my HP scanners ... and avoid using HP's software.

12. alaninevanston

Most definitely, because that isn't hard to do. I just figured if I scan something to file, it would look exactly as it does if I scan to print.

13. alaninevanston

I downloaded infranview but think I screwed it up. I downloaded it as a Google plug in and it went. Then I looked again and did a download to my computer from C-net and it had more options than I could imagine but it's in too.

14. wowzer

wowzer

15. alaninevanston

Thanks Wowzer, that helped allot!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1073175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice