Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Will memory modules work in both 32 and 64 bit?

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  storkfmny 
#1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading memory in my 64 bit computer running vista 32bit OS and want to make sure it will work or not.
This is the memory...
240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC DDR2 533 KVR533D2E4/1G
Will it work on my AMD Athlon 64?
I only have one gig now and would like to have four.
Thanks

#3 ·
What's the brand name, model name, and complete model number of your computer?

If perchance it's a Dell brand, advise what the 7-character service tag number on the sticker is.

If perchance it's a HP or Compaq brand, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's currently using DDR2 PC2-4200(DDR2-533) module(s).

How many module slots are in the motherboard?

----------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I didn't realize that different manufacturers would make a difference on this topic.
Here's my info:
Compaq Presario,
M/N: SR2173WM
Prod#: RK539AA-ABA
S/N: CNX6511260
MB: Asus- A8M2N-LA (Nodus-M3)
CPU- Athlon64 3500
Four memory slots total and will handle four gig of mem max.
I bought this machine at walmart back in 2007 and didn't really use it much. The motherboard died on it shortly after the warranty expired and I just now finally got a new one from ebay (reluctantly) and everything seems to be working fine now. I also bought a AMD X2 cpu and it would not go in. I am getting conflicting reports as to which socket type this board has. My original processor fit into the socket, so of course that's what I'm using now. The HP website says my motherboard is a 939socket and can upgrade to a AM2 dual core (not quite sure what that means...do I need to change the socket as well as the processor).
I ran a program called "Everest" and it says I have a AM2 socket, I'm not sure which is correct. The AMD X2 cpu was purchased on ebay as well as the motherboard and I can't see anything physically wrong with it (bent pins). Don't understand why it wouldn't fit but would like to know exactly what I need for a dual core cpu.
This thing has only one gig of memory now and would like to upgrade it to max of four gig. Thanks for your time.
The memory module listed on the first post is the one I am wondering will fit, it is the same type I have now....I think. Thanks again

#6 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, x64 Family 15 Model 79 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 957 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, 64 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 184496 MB, Free - 134646 MB; D: Total - 6283 MB, Free - 892 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NODUSM3
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

#7 ·
Supports PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
Socket type: AM2
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades
  • AMD Athlon 64
  • Athlon 64 X2 up to 5000+
  • AMD Sempron

I don't know what your 1gb stick is PC4200 or PC 5300. I would sugest that you get 2 - 2gb sticks of one or the other of those type and don't use the old stick.

#8 ·
Supports PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
Socket type: AM2
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades
  • AMD Athlon 64
  • Athlon 64 X2 up to 5000+
  • AMD Sempron

I don't know what your 1gb stick is PC4200 or PC 5300. I would sugest that you get 2 - 2gb sticks of one or the other of those type and don't use the old stick.
Right now my one gig mem is 2X512 sticks.
So this memory will work then:
Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ECC DDR2 533 KVR533D2E4/1G
I have the opportunity to buy four sticks cheap!

#13 ·
Assuming you have the same motherboard and not a completely different motherboard that came in the Compaq Presario SR2173WM desktop, it supports 4 GB of RAM(1 GB in each of its 4 slots) and uses this 1 GB module:

240-pin DDR2 PC2-5300(DDR2-667), 1.8V, unbuffered, non-ECC

240-pin DDR2 PC2-4200(DDR2-533), 1.8V, unbuffered, non-ECC

----------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.