1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will not boot XP SP2- microsoft fix failed!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geektobe, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geektobe

geektobe Thread Starter

Hi all:
    I got XP PRO sp2 a few weeks ago and microsoft has downloaded their automatic (hot fix) updates about 20-25 times. The last download failed and the the message read that I would have trouble booting XP because of that failure. Well, they were right because now Xp will not boot up-- it just keeps rebooting.

To try to correct this I have tried to use my XP CD to repair it but it asks for a password from an administrator-- that's not me
    I have tried F5 to get into safe mode, safe mode command prompt, last known good configuration..., and debugging mode and nothing works.

Any other suggestions besides reinstalling everything.
    Thanks

2. Lance1

Lance1

It sounds to me that you used the first option for repair! Do it again and this time keep going and use the second option. This will load XP overtop itself and repair any corruption. Remember that you’ll have to reload SP2.

3. geektobe

geektobe Thread Starter

Thanks Lance1
    yes I did what you suggested but it installed okay then it went into a dos screen after installation and said that a system32/cofig file was missing or corrupted. It wanted me to install this file somehow but I was not sure how. I ended up reformatting. I taked to a knowledgeable friend who says that this reinstall overlay of xp does not work.
    He also says that microsoft always wants to download hotfixs and he just ignores them because the download eventually screws up. I think it is back to imaging for me to prevent this problem in the future.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Did you slipstream your XP CD with SP2 before installing? That has worked perfectly for everyone I know.

That way you only have to add the post SP2 updates.

If you have SP2 on the drive now your XP CD should be slipstreamed so that you can use sfc /scannow if you need to, or when you need to do a Repair install.

5. geektobe

geektobe Thread Starter

I really don't understand what RAM-PAGE just wrote

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If XP is corrupted to the point where none of the previous solutions get it to boot, you can do a Repair Install that might work as well as keep the current settings. Make sure you have your valid WindowsXP key. The whole process takes about half an hour depending on your computer If you are being prompted for the administrator's password, you need to choose the 2nd repair option, not the first.

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD
    At the second R=Repair option, press the R key
    This will start the repair
    Press F8 for I Agree at the Licensing Agreement
    Press R when the directory where WindowsXP is installed is shown. Typically this is C:\WINDOWS
    It will then check the C: drive and start copying files
    It will automatically reboot when needed. Keep the CD in the drive.
    You will then see the graphic part of the repair that is like during a normal install of XP (Collecting Information, Dynamic Update, Preparing Installation, Installing Windows, Finalizing Installation)
    When prompted, click on the Next button
    When prompted, enter your XP key
    Normally you will want to keep the same Workgroup or Domain name
    The computer will reboot
    Then you will have the same screens as a normal XP Install
    Activate if you want (usually a good idea)
    Register if you want (but not necessary)
    Finish
    At this point you should be able to log in with any existing accounts.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#repair

Have successfully done this quite a few times for folks. But also it is a repair install. If XP was corrupted too far, even a repair might not work. But it is certainly a safer thing to try first rather than a reformat.

To answer you question about slipstreaming, perhaps:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/winxp_slipstream.htm

Will help some

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

You just use the AutoStreamer 1·0 freeware program to merge the service pack two files together with the core files from your XP CD. The 25 minute process makes you an .ISO file from which you can then burn a new XPSP2 CD. Chose CD-ROM(ISO) in your burning program.

Then your installation will be up-to-date as far as SP2 is concerned.

Mind you there have been 25 more updates to my system since SP2, and some 32 up to SP2, making 57 in all, so it looks like we'll soon be slipstreaming SP3.

Windows 2000 is already up to Service Pack 4 and beyond.

Microsoft should now produce Longhorn as Windows 3000 in my opinion.

Not that my opinion is of any help to you... :rolleyes:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice