1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mrcobra, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Win xp, turn it on and I see the black & white screens telling me about hd info and I am seeing something about ide conductor 80, it goes to fast for me to see. Anyway it shuts down at different times. I cannot get it to windows. This is a cutom built machine. One thing I did notice is when I tunr the comp on all fans start to turn other than the Power Supply fan. Should this turn on as soon as there is power to the computer ?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes I would say so.....I would check your power supply and also all connections inside the PC.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

ok what I saw was, secondary ide no 80 conductor cable installed

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Check and unplug and plug them back in all the cables to and from the motherboard .

But the powersupply fan should be spinning.

5. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

ok maybe a dumb question: I let the computer sit there longer before trying to boot it again, only because if I punch it again Im afraid that I might really break something this time. Anyway, it made it further on the boot this time. Power supply fan still has not turned on but could this issue alos might be a battery ? I am grabbing for straws now.

Also added thermal paste and I am now wondering if your supposed to let this dry or you can put it on and then put it all together again with no waiting

6. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

swapped out a powerupply and it still shuts off before reaching desktop

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

You have 2 PCI slots, right? Are there devices connected to both of them?

And no, go ahead and apply the heat sink right after you put the paste on. It doesn't dry--it wouldn't really do it's job well if it did. Be careful not to apply too much. Just a thin, unbroken layer.

If it says there is no 80 conductor PCI cable installed, that sounds like you have a bad cable or cable connection, or incorrect jumper settings.

8. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

2 pci's sound card in one and nothing in the other:

I am not getting the 80 conductor message anymore.

9. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

ok, i tried the following:

1) removed agp video card..................rebooted..........shut off
    2) removed power to c drive................rebooted..........shut off
    3) removed power to another hd..........rebooted..........shut off
    4) swithced ram with each other...........rebooted..........shut off
    5) tried another batter.........................rebooted..........shut off
    6) tried another ps...............................rebooted..........shut off
    7) tried another keyboard.....................rebooted..........shut off

I thinks thats all I tried.

10. bonk

bonk Banned

Put your operating system in and see if it will boot from that.

11. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Ok here has what has now been done:

1) New Power Supply
    2) Removed the FRESH new Thermal paste and applied again
    3) Reseated Heat sink
    4) removed the mobo cleaned(dusty), looked for burn marks(none)
    5) replaced Mobo and everything else. In other words I ripped it all down and started all over from scratch, just like a new build

FINAL RESULTS: IT WORKS IT WORKS !!!!!!! (y) :) :D ;) :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Two\ bad part about this. Why is my floppy drive light staying on ? It doesn't appear to be spinning. Faulty maybe ?

And two, I have NO idea what was wrong lol. I know it was not the Power supply because I tried just booting up the mobo and it shut off again. So, whatever it was( I think it was the heat sink being seated properly and applying a thin layer of thermal paste the 2nd time around).

Thanks for all the great help guys. Hope I don't have to come here again anytime soon ,lol

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

The light staying on is a backwards cable. There is a pin one on the drive and on the cable. Look closely with a light to see the correct orientation.

Good job fixing the machine!

Little secret here: MOST of the people helping you have likely taken a machine apart and put it back together and had it mysteriously work. The most likely suspect is a short somewhere or a cable not seated properly... Overheating CPU is also, as you suspect, a tricky problem that can cause all kinds of weird things to happen..

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice