1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will not load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carman52don, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carman52don

carman52don Thread Starter

Dell desktop. 546. When Powering up the load light blinks once and and that was it. Sometimes the power light stays on but usually it goes to blinking yellow and of course nothing Happens . Happened several months ago and after cleaning the unit it started working fine. Connections all secure. Monitor goes to standby is botrh cases but works on this old system I'm using now.

2. wjbrown1981

wjbrown1981

do you hear any hard disk activity? you get no dell boot screen or anything?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is there a question hear? Reading through your thread it appears that you cleaned the computer and it is working fine, in the first part of your thread, you mention the "load light" blinks once. Are you refering to the Power indicator on on the front panel? If so then I would say the problem may be the power supply. Also is this a Dimension desktop, or an Inspiron or what?

4. carman52don

Sorry for the delay in answering. couldn;'t find out how to doit. IST TIME using this. POWER LIGHT COMES ON THEN GOES BLINKING YELLOW BUT SOMETIMES JUST STAYS white. Monitor comes on but goes into standby. This monitor dows work on another computer. (sorrry i left the Caps on, didnt mean to)
    When I cleaned the computer in Sept. it started working but the problem reoccured again now.
    Dell Imspiron 546. What I called the load light is the small white light that shows the computer is (loading a program or off the harddrive.
    No Dell boot screen. The hard drive sounds like it is spinning!

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That would be the HDD Activity light. Do you not hear the normal windows theme sound when it would normally reach the desktop?

6. carman52don

All is quiet with the sound. The HD is runniing but no responce and as I noted the hdd activity light only blinks once at each startup.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    On most computers the HDD is nearly silent. How are you determining the hdd is running?

8. carman52don

Started the computer holding a metal rod on the HD and against my ear. very obviously was running. Don't laugh it works!!!!!!!!!

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Not laughing, I use a Mechanics Stethoscope that does the same thing only more comfortably.

10. carman52don

I was going to use mine from my old blood pressure kit but forgot about it at the moment,
    When it tries to start and the power light stays lit could I put my Windows 7 disk or an old startup which I'm not sure is good. The CD drive has power then.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I spent too much money on my Medical Stethoscopes, but my mechanics 'scope only cost me 12 bucks.

you could try that but if you are getting no video, then it won't help you much. Video should be working regardless of whether you have an OS installed or not.

12. carman52don

Shucks! Also the HD should be trying to load even if the video card only was bad and that was all. Back to your original thought of the Power Supply. If I can get to prints to it I could check it. I have Many years schooling and experience in electronics but most were in the 60's (tube type) getting into Solid state but I have the equipment and digital testers and can handle that. I will need to exploring. I'm retired so I have the time. Glad I have a working older Computer to keep me informed.
    If you have any ideas I would welcome them. I really thank you for you time and knowledge.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Simplest way to test it, is to connect a known good power supply to the motherboard. No need to install it in the case.

14. carman52don

Good idea but I don't have one but I bet I know where I can get hold of a good used one to try that, Then buy a proper sized new one if that's the problem. Makes sense!!
    Thanks again Dustyjay.
    Dell has been a pain in the past and hard to get them to help. Their answer is always "software problem not ours" BUT send us Money and extend you r Warrenty.

15. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The only Dell computers I buy new anymore are Laptops. For desktops I build my own. But Dell would be a top choice there for an off the shelf computer, mainly for pricing reasons.

At one time Dell had the very best tech support in the world. Since they outsource their Consumer Tech support to India (used to be In Texas) Their support has been lousey.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice