1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will not recognise mini-HDD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mkn777er, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mkn777er

mkn777er Thread Starter

I have just had to replace my laptops back-up HDD after dropping it. It was a 120 Gb 2.5 inch SATA drive housed within an enclosure. I have replaced it with a 250 Gb HDD, housed in the same enclosure. Before, when it was connected (via USB) the drive would appear in My Computer as a mini-HDD with a suitable letter. Now when I connect the new drive it recognises it, says its working normally but refers to it as a USB Storage Device and does not list it in My Computer and so I cannot access it. I have tried:
    Different computer (two)
    Different hard drive enclosure
    with the same result on each occasion.
    Any ideas please?
    Many thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is it shown in disk management
    Control Panel Administrative funtions, computer management disk management. OR right click My Computer entry on startup and click manage.
    Is there anything ON the HDD or is this a brand new drive.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the drive need to be formatted? Many new drives come unformatted from the manufacturers.

4. Macboatmaster

Thats where I am going, if it is shown in disk management.
    IF YOU have already stored any data on this drive, before you enclosed it, to use as external - DO NOT OF COURSE format it. - as you will lose eveything on it.
    If it is shown in Disk Management and has nothing on it then format it.
    NOTE ENSURE you are selecting the CORRECT drive, otherwise you risk formatting your main hard drive.
    On the drive - right click and then click format.

5. mkn777er

mkn777er Thread Starter

Done it! That was the problem - it had not been formatted. Found it in Disc Manager and all is now good. I think that is the first time I have ever bought an HDD that has not arrived formatted!

Many thanks for all your help............:)

6. Macboatmaster

Pleased its sorted.
    It probably was already. New hard drives are already low level formatted but it needs to be done on the computer for that computer to see the disc as a drive.
    Mark the thread solved please

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice