1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will PC Video Cards improve quality on Plasma Screens?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scooby_steve, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm just wondering if buying a better video card for the PC will improve the quality of the picture on my plasma??

I'm not sure if it is a Hi-Def plasma but the quality just looks poor when the image is being sent from the PC.

The quality is quite good when a DVD is being played.

Any help would be great.Thanks in advance.

Regards

Steve

2. Moby

Moby

How are you connecting computer to the plasma? What cable connection?

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

What is the resolution set to?

Video cards usually improve gaming, with things like FPS, how sharp the game is, and if any frames are dropped. If you have a monitor with no video card showing the desktop and another one with a video card showing the desktop, they will look the same.

Also, you should know that you can get temporary/fixable but annoying burn-ins from showing something too long on the screen (such as the taskbar) with a plasma.

4. Compiler

Compiler

plasmas are designed for NTSC video. They typically have a max res of 720p, maybe 1080 - depending on age and model.

1024x768 (or 1280x720) is fairly low/typical resolution size. Designed for about 17" monitors. And you're blowing up the image to 42"... it never looks that good.

Only the TOP LCD monitors will give you 2500x1600+ type resolutions.

5. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

What graphics card do you have now? Yes some perform better than others. Generally the graphics output to a plasma TV monitor gets smoothed out as aposed to the choppyness you see on a computer monitor. It depends on the settings available on your current card and it's performance with those settings turned up all the way.

6. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

nVidia have some serious settings with their drivers in order to drive a Plas in HD mode. I did it to mine 12-18months ago using the HDMI input.
    The PC Mode you are using is probably seriously restricting though.
    For movies plas's rock but for pc's they suck.

7. ferrija1

ferrija1

Compiler is definitely correct, I knew that why didn't I say it. :p Your monitor is usually sharper and at a higher resolution so even though you may think that hooking up your PC to a TV is great because the screen is large, it will be worse because your TV's resolution is a lot lower and it is like up-sizing video.

8. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi All,

thanks for your inputs.... So my understanding is that the bottom line is that the monitor is the restriction, not the Video Card.

Thanks again.

Regards
    Steve

9. ferrija1

ferrija1

Yes, that is correct.

If your thread is solved, please mark your thread solved by selecting Mark Solved and clicking Perform Action in the Thread Tools at the top of your thread. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice