1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will setting a drive as a backup drive reduce what's shown as available space

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by adanedhel728, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

Ok, this is a weird question, I know, but I don't know exactly how to Google this to find the answer.

I have a 1.5 tb external drive (which shows up as something like 1.3 tb in Windows). I use it for storage, but now I have it set up to automatically back up my internal drive. Now it shows up as 1.04 tb in "My Computer." I looked in "Disk Management" and it seems to have three partitions, two of which have no drive letters assigned. So, I just have one quick question, is that normal?

The reason I ask is because today I was messing around with dual-booting Ubuntu. I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess something up.

To anyone who answers, thanks for putting up with a stupid question, lol.

2. robes3393

robes3393

What is the make and model of the external drive?

3. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

It's a Seagate Freeagent. But I discovered the answer. It turns out, there was a complete Linux installation on a partition of the drive. I do not remember partitioning it or installing that, it was an accident, but naturally Windows could not see the ext4 partition.

So, the answer is no, setting the drive as a backup drive will not shrink the apparent size of the drive. In fact, I found that the backup was a file in the root directory that was the same name as my computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice