1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will Solid State Drives Install XP Operating System?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lu Zhun, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Hello. I originally listed this under Software (XP) section of this forum, but someone thought I should have it moved to the hardware. I marked the other one as solved, so I could change the title of the thread to better match the hardware section. Here is the post again.

I have completed a brand new build with all new parts and it goes to BIOS, sees all the components and everything is as it should but when I try installing Windows XP Professional, I keep getting the blue screen saying "A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I made a bootable disc so that I could run CHKDSK and SCANDISK and that one said that it found errors and tried moving files from the one area over to another and block off the corrupted area and it couldn't even do that because it had said there was physical damage to the drive.

So, I opened the other OCZ SSD drive I have (the exact same one - model, etc..) and tried it with the same error happening. I even opened a new xp professional installation cd because that first one had scratches on the cd, and both installation cd's are giving this error to both of these OCZ SSD drives.

This is the first time I am using a solid state drive, so I do not know if I have to make sure I unlock something or what, but the BIOS found the drive stating it's size and all.

I don't see how it could be physical damage to 2 separate drives unless it happened to be a bad batch from the manufacturer?

If you have any ideas on what I can do next, I really appreciate it. This is unfortunate that everything is working but the operating system installation. This computer is ready to go except for that, sigh.

I can give you specs of all of the parts if you really need that. This new motherboard has Sata 6gb/sec which I have this SSD hooked up to by a Sata cable. This is the first time I am dealing with Sata 6gb/sec too.

The motherboard is Asus M5A97LE R2.0. The SSD is OCZ Vertex 3.

It says that it is Windows 8 ready on the motherboard box. I am not sure if by installing an older operating system, that this could limit some of these new technologies. I am only going with Windows XP because it is cheaper. I may get Windows 8 eventually though.

I hope there is no physical damage to these SSD's because I already sent the barcodes back for rebate purposes. I may look at the warranty option though. It is just strange to me that it actually reads or sees the SSD just fine and then says it cannot install the OS.

Thanks for any help. I will check back often. Let me know if you need anymore information. Have a great day.

2. dai

dai

the 7b error is although the bios sees the drive windows does not

usually happens with a sata drive and the fix is to change sata to be seen as ide in the bios

i have never used a solid state drive so all i can suggest is to check if you can set it to be seen as ide

the only type available when xp was released was ide

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Otherwise you will have to slipstream the correct SATA drivers into your install.
    There may well have been a document on how, and the files to do this that came with the disk.

4. Cudaa

Cudaa

I read of XP getting installed on SSD's but XP does not support TRIM so the computer keeps getting slower because the drive isn't being properly taken care of.

5. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies. This should help. I almost do not want to install xp now if it will hurt the performance.. I am just so used to XP though. I haven't used any of the newer operating systems yet, lol. Maybe I am missing out? sigh.

Have you all tried Windows 8 yet?

6. dai

dai

you may as well go straight to win8

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

XP does not natively support TRIM, but I think most manufacturers supply a routine that you can schedule.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you install in ide or legacy mode, you will negate some of the benefits of a ssd drive. Your choices are to either accept the decreased performance of ide mode or load the driver during setup. I checked the asus site and they list a ahci driver for xp. With xp the only way you can load this driver is using a floppy disk; xp will not load drivers from a usb, cd, etc. You can attempt to slipstream the drivers into a custom install disk if you want to try that.

Here is what I would do at this point;
    1 Download the driver from the asus site. Here is the link to the support page for your mb
    http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax
    2 Put the driver on a floppy disk
    3 Before attempting any install, I would secure erase the drive. OCZ has some utilities for doing this however I just use parted magic linux. It has a secure erase option.
    4 Once you have secure erased the drive, then do the install and load the driver. During the first part of the install you will see a msg to the effect the if you have to load mass storage drivers, hit the F6 key. Do so and when prompted, insert your floppy disk.

FWIW I would give serious thought to just going with win7 since you will not have to load a driver AND it has TRIM support.

9. Lu Zhun

Lu Zhun Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks again for the replies. I just bought Windows 8 Upgrade option since it was on sale but I think it is for systems that already have XP installed. Ouch.

I may just have to buy the retail version when it is on sale as I was hoping I could put the upgrade version on a bootable disk, but the way they have it setup is through a wizard that upgrades the OS for you instead of a zipped folder or individual files that were downloaded. Only the wizard was downloaded I do believe.

Have a great day.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice