1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will System Recovery Disks Still Work?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by discgolfer, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. discgolfer

discgolfer Thread Starter

If I download Service Pack 3 will my System Recovery Disks still work. I downloaded service pack 3 when it first came out.

When I run SFC /SCANNOW in "RUN" it scans but then a window pops up asking me to insert my Windows Professional XP Service Pack 3cd. When I insert my System Recovery Disc #3 it say I've inserted the wrong disc.

Is it because originally my Windows came with service pack 2? Isn't it the System Recovery Disc that it's asking for or another disc?
    thx

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

SFC won't work with a Recovery CD, it wants to see a Windows XP with SP3 CD.

3. discgolfer

hmmm,..wonder why I ain't got one. Was I supposed to make one when I got this PC? All I have is a Recovery Tools CD and System Recovery Disks.

4. Frank4d

Most PC manufacturers don't ship a Windows XP install CD unless you request it at the time you buy it. They ship with the CDs you have.

I guess they figure most people would have no use for SFC? :confused:

5. discgolfer

Thx,..this is a nice site,..I have to learn how to get around in it,.. I have to learn PC's too. One more question please,...what exactly does SFC /SCANNOW do? lol Serious. THX again,..I'll MARK SOLVED on this one.

6. Frank4d

SFC checks Windows system files and restores the original files if they are corrupt or have been changed.

7. discgolfer

8. john162075

john162075

my computer recently crashed and im trying to do a system recovery but im missing one of the cds and them manufacture dont make them no more can i use another windows xp system recovery cds on my computer?

9. discgolfer

being a newbee, I'm not sure. I have the three recovery cds. My PC came with Service Pack 2,..and I upgraded to Service Pack 3 on line. So I'm unsure how that works out. I still don't know the diff. between a Windows Install CD and System Recovery CDs. Do System Recovery CDs put all the origninal files back in your hard drive? Cuz thats what a Windows install CD does, right,? same thing? Anyhow, if you find out, let me know if I can help. I can burn a copy of the CD you need, and get it to you somehow. I have an HP/ Microsoft Windows XP/Media Center Edition/Version 2002/ I believe it had Service Pack 2 before I upgraded to sp3. Sometimes I'm not even sure I know what I'm talkin' about. lol

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice