1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will this corsair psu work with my motherboard? How can I tell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by audi0fix, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

2. blair41

blair41

It should be fine.

Although what else is going into the system? Each piece of hardware has it own requirements for power.

3. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

I should be fine on wattage.
    The stock one I'm removing was 250w. And the only thing I've added is a 9800gtx+
    The reason I'm asking is because the system is randomly freezing and shutting down now. I'm getting blue screens periodically as well. I'm trying to determine if the hard drive is bad or if there is some incompatibility between the motherboard and the new psu. I've tried 2 different power supplies and both give me the problem.
    It's driving me crazy because I just bought the computer 2 weeks ago.

4. blair41

blair41

Post a list of everything that's in your system..........

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you have tried a couple of PSUs, and you know they are both good (i.e. they work OK in the machine they came from and are decent wattage), then I would suggest the problem isn't in the PSU itself.

As blair has said, list the full system specs / exact make and model of the PC and we can try some diagnosis to better identify the issue. What graphics card did it have previously?

Is the computer 2nd hand? If not, do you have any warranty as that would be my first port of call with any problems.

6. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

Practically brand new.Opened the box and set it up 5/13/2011.HPE-400f AMD Phenom II x4 945 8 gigs DDR3Original card: ATI Radeon HD54501TB SATA Hard driveOriginal PSU was 300 watt maxNew PSU is a corsair 650w (link above)Link to full specs:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...312&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USENI have tried putting the old card back in to see if it was the video card, but both cards yield the same results. It is still within warranty, and I have been on the phone with them for hours, but they want me to send it off, and thats terribly inconveniant.Sorry about the lack of specs, I filled out an info box when I made my account here that asked for my system specs. I thought it was visible in threads.

7. blair41

blair41

8. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

I don't see any motherboard drivers in device manager? Should I be deleting them from somewhere else?

9. blair41

blair41

Control Panel........ Programs and Features

You'll have to look for specifics related to the motherboard.... It's not essential but very helpful in figuring where the problem lies .....

10. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

I tried, the machine Blue screens before I can make many changes. I'm running a memory test now, but this is the third different test I've run. Hard drive smart test passed too. I removed the memory and the motherboard still responds. What am I missing?

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    To be perfectly honest, as inconvinient as it may be, you really should be sending this back as a warranty issue, for you own peace of mind. By tinkering about trying to fix it you run the risk on totally invalidating any warranty you do have, then if the problem turns out to be a significant hardware fault you will have to buy it yourself.

However, if you are determined to try and fix it yourself, what is the blue screen error you have referred to a few times, can you post the exact error code / message?

If the original and new card both yield the same results, with different PSUs then I would probably lean toward a possible faulty motherboard, RAM could also be a problem but I see you are running a memtest so that should confirm if the RAM is OK or not.

What you really need to do, in my opinion, is put everything back to how it came out of the box and work from there (if you haven't already). Don't even think about the new graphics card / PSU until you know you have a working system to start with, otherwise you are just adding more unknown variables to the issue.

12. audi0fix

audi0fix Thread Starter

I ran memtest 86+ from UBCD and after many hours/days of testing individual sticks and slots I determined the problem to be a bad memory slot on the motherboard. I sent it back to HP and the replaced it on my suggestion. I've re installed the aftermarket PSU and GPU and the machine is running fine. Thanks for the input everybody. I'm going to mark this one solved.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/999716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice