Solved: Will this mobo work with old cpu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
I would think it would work, however I have never tried to put an old socket A CPU into a board that uses DDR, I would worry about DMA errors of some kind, but I can't say for sure...
sorry I can't be of more help this time.

See that sounds right to me, but I think more and more...
Maybe I should learn to stop thinking, it gets me into trouble ;)

brite750

loserOlimbs said:
I would think it would work, however I have never tried to put an old socket A CPU into a board that uses DDR, I would worry about DMA errors of some kind, but I can't say for sure...
sorry I can't be of more help this time.
yeah me to, thing is my friend has a 750 tbird, the chart says 200fsb, the mobo mfr says for 200/266 fsb Athlon/duron/Athlon XP, Chaintech has no cpu chart for their boards, like other brands, right now his choice is between buying a stick of pc133 ram for his current very old 2000ish mobo or buying this mobo for $38 and then putting two free sticks of pc2100, so its about the same price but this way he has a new mb, more and better ram, but somehow i have to make sure its gonna work with the t-bird. I'm kinda worried about the DDR thing too, but it says Athlon 200fsb, what else would an Athlon 200 fsb be but a duron or a t-bird?

http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html#ath

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
I would think it would work as only 200 and 266Mhz FSB are supported and its an older board. But on some of the very latest Socket A boards only 1000Mhz and faster processors are supported. An example is the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe on which the Supported CPU list starts at 1000Mhz and there's a note somewhere about not using slower CPU's with it.

Rukee

Banned
the only thing I would buy is a platform upgrade. I would not spend a dime on that old stuff. You`r money would be better off to be pooled and saved up for something that will make a difference. You can grab a socket 754 combo with memory for under 200 bucks and maybe a power supply for good messure. There`s alot of sidewalks that need to be shoveled and garages that need to be cleaned up.....get to it!! ;)

brite750

Rukee said:
the only thing I would buy is a platform upgrade. I would not spend a dime on that old stuff. You`r money would be better off to be pooled and saved up for something that will make a difference. You can grab a socket 754 combo with memory for under 200 bucks and maybe a power supply for good messure. There`s alot of sidewalks that need to be shoveled and garages that need to be cleaned up.....get to it!! ;)
He's already working full time, hes 18, and his mother sucks every dime out of him, he pays rent, card paymt. car insurenace, etc. this is his first pc he has own personnally, his mothers pc is a PentII, so this one kicks the crap out of that one and its all his, hes got about $40 bucks thats it, he only has 256mb pc133 right now trying to run w2k, everest shows 55% utilization at desktop so i told him he needs ram well guess what 256 pc133 is still about $40 ish so thats when i came up with 512 or 1gig of free pc2100 I had forgot about, thats when the hunt for a new mb came up, it would be a better choice if it worked. Saving up $500 to $600 isnt gonna happen in his current situation, the pc was free from me for x-mass I put a 80 seatgate in a new $20 Ultra case, with some of my old dust collector parts, but he reallt needs more ram IMO, and this $40 would accomplish that, but again to me a new mb with 1 gig of pc2100 would be a nice upgrade for $40. 1st of all my generation doesnt like to throw anything out, we were taught by people who went throught the depression and WWII not to waste things, 2nd hes not a gamer now and this pc at least gives him a working pc, something he didnt have, so for the little bit of money I put into it as a present plus his $40 he can have something that is workable, and you and i both know that as long as your not talking running 3D games, there is no need for a latest and greatest pc except for bragging rights, he can use to run some older games circa 2000, 2001 which still are fun, listen to music, internet, watch DVDs etc., its not like its a total paper weight. (old man talk warning) thats the problem with you youngins, you also have to have the most expensive crap to impress your friends with, $200 sneakers, cell phones, fancy clothes, dual core cpuz with SLI'd 7800's, for what ? so you can see the snot flying out of the noses for the football players on Madden, bullet holes and bone chips in BF2, some people have to live without all this STUFF, and still manage to be happy....go figure.

brite750

Rukee said:
not to put to much of a fine point on it but $200 is NOT gonna do it, how about a video card power supply to run all that new stuff, comon, so $200 for your combo which must be crap for that money, a real mobo would be $150 min, cpu $150ish, Ram $100ish, psu $80ish, gfx card $150ish, hardy $200

That site is pretty cheap, price wise, DFI isnt too bad, wouldnt be my chioce, but. Thing is he can still do this down the road, doing his psu first maybe, then mobo/cpu/ram, then video, although i doubt a Radeon 7000 4x agp is gonna work in that board, so really like i said this would be an expensive upgrade, certainly nothing he could even think about right now.

Rukee

Banned
brite750 said:
not to put to much of a fine point on it but $200 is NOT gonna do it, how about a video card power supply to run all that new stuff, comon, so $200 for your combo which must be crap for that money, a real mobo would be $150 min, cpu $150ish, Ram $100ish, psu $80ish, gfx card $150ish, hardy $200
I don`t care if it was the slowest socket 754 motherboard on the planet, it would still smoke that old 750 duron socket a CPU in any test you wanted to use. And I know that first screens says it`s a PCI-e MB, but if you click the more info tab for it, you`ll see it`s actaully an AGP one.
And saying you need the most expensive stuff is playing right into your other post, I never said anything like that, on contrary, don`t waste your money on the old stuff, but save for something that actually will make a difference.

brite750

Rukee said:
I don`t care if it was the slowest socket 754 motherboard on the planet, it would still smoke that old 750 duron socket a CPU in any test you wanted to use. And I know that first screens says it`s a PCI-e MB, but if you click the more info tab for it, you`ll see it`s actaully an AGP one.
And saying you need the most expensive stuff is playing right into your other post, I never said anything like that, on contrary, don`t waste your money on the old stuff, but save for something that actually will make a difference.
this doesnt solve his Ram problem does it:rolleyes: and like I said he doesnt care about "smoking" anyone, he doesnt smoke anyway, hes just happy right now to have a pc that works. the difference is that hes has a pc at all.

brite750

I'm just glad it wasnt YOU who I gave this to, I think I would have rather run it over with my car.;) I'm am well aware of the fact that for maybe $400 bucks you could have a better pc, hell for $1000 you can have a really nice pc, however that is not what I asked and is not what this thread is about, but I thank you for telling me what I already knew, thanks so much.

Oh and BTW its a Thunderbird cpu NOT a Duron, and at the time T-birds were pretty much smoking as you put it.:D

Rukee

Banned
Excuse me!!...you asked for opinions, it`s a waste of money to buy anything for that old platform was my opinion, you don`t have to like it. If your going to buy a new MB, it shouldn`t be for an old 750 T-bird....IMO.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online