1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will this video card be compatible with my PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Holly3278, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I have finally gotten my birthday money and have decided to upgrade my video card with it. However, I am wondering if this new video card I have picked out will be compatible with my PC or not. Therefore, I am asking for some help. My basic PC details are available in my signature and the video card I have picked out is at the link below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814140051

What do you think? :confused:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Most likely but positive ID requires motherboard brand or pc brand so we can see if you have agp slot.

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Well I don't know the brand of my motherboard but the brand of my PC is a Nobilis Equus.

4. seekermeister

seekermeister

From what I could see of that brand, the computers are all custom made. That would mean that you would either need the original order specs, or better yet, open the case to identify the motherboard, or merely see if it has an AGP slot. AGP is usually above the PCI slots and is brown.

5. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Okay well I looked at this big sticker thing in the box where I keep my PC stuff in and there was a diagram and it said AGP on it so I am thinking that I likely have an AGP slot. Is there any utilities I can use to find out whether or not I have the slot or whatever? (I really don't feel like opening the case up right now. :p )

6. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

Open up your case is there a brown slot on the top of all the slots usually located on the bottom of your motherboard. If there is then you have agp

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The card requires an 8X AGP compliant motherboard. Is that what yours is? You're going to need to find the make and model info for your board, and then get the specs on it.

8. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I'm not sure how I'm going to find that out but anyway I did open up the case and practiced uninstalling and reinstalling the video card and I do have an AGP slot.

9. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Okay here's the info on my motherboard:

Board: Intel Corporation D845GBV AAA84538-301
    Serial Number: I don't think you need to know this.
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. RG84510A.86A.0014.P07.0208231211 08/23/2002

10. Jones

Jones

EDIT: Scratch that last message. I missed something.

That board does have an AGP slot, but it's only 4X speed. You can use an 8x card, but it will function slower.

Here's a link to the page with your board's info:
    http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bv/index.htm

11. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Okay well I kind of need to know this stuff before I install the card cause as far as I know, I cannot send the card back if I open the package. How slow will my card function? Will it still be faster than the one I currently have (Geforce 2 64mb)? Also, the system requirements says it must be an 8x slot but yet the interface thing says 4x/8x. What does that mean? That it'll work with either? Would I be better off just returning the card for one that is more compatible with my slot?

12. Jones

Jones

Absolutely.

Also, I don't believe there is any physical difference in the slot type 4X or 8X, so it should fit. But naturally, an 8X card will transfer data at 1/2 times the speed it is capable of.

The speed of the AGP slot is one factor, but the core speed of the GPU and the speed of the memory have the most impact on performance. Also, the new card will be capable of rendering higher quality textures than your current card, so you'll be getting an improvement in pretty much every aspect of graphics. Granted, the card you've picked isn't very high end, but it will still be a huge improvement over a GeForce 2.

13. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hmmm well thanks. I'd like to get some opinions from some other people here on the forums as well before I choose to open the package and install it. I really don't want to end up with a card that doesn't fit or something and not be able to return it. ;)

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

First of all you can return a card at most places though if the package is opened you might pay a 15% restocking fee.
    Now that isn't a bad price but it also isn't a great vodeo card and I doubt seriously you will see much improvement. To do that you wopuld need to upgrade to at least a 6600 to see aq major improvement.

15. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Well to be honest, in my opinion, this card is a major improvement over my current one. That and I'm not really looking for leading edge technology. I just want one that will work with my new games that require a newer video card. Also Rich, do you think that my new video card will be compatible with my PC based upon the information that I have thus far given in this thread?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice