Solved: Will this work?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rhorne4

I have an hp 540n sitting here just gathering dust.I only use it for a back up computer and i was thinking of stripping it down and moving it into a micro atx cube case to save some room.Can this be done?Will the power supply work on the hp motherboard and will the front panel pin out be any trouble to hook up?The front panel hook up now is all in one piece so i know i will have to work with it to figure out what hooks up where but i am not sure about the power supply working.This is just a thought i had and any help or input would be greatly appreciated.Thank's in advance.

Yeah, I moved an HP a few years ago. The pinout was the hardest thing to figure out but I got lucky on a google and found what I needed to find. I only hooked up the reset and the power switches because that is all I needed.

I figured I was smart enough to know if the machine was on or off without the lights. The PSU should work fine. I never had any issue.

Most of the front panel pinouts are relatively easy to figure out since most only have 8 wires connected to either double or single kk connectors, 1 double or 2 single kk connectors for HHD/LED, POWER/LED, POWER SWITCH and RESET SWITCH.

Make a drawing of your of your existing pinout and if necessary remove the front cover and trace the wires so you know the color combination for each SWITCH or LED. The new case kk connectors should be marked and you just have to reconnect them to the correct pins on the motherboard front panel header.

Since you say you now have a single connector, save it and after you get the new pinout attached correctly you can remove the wires from the old connector, remove the wires from the new kk connectors and insert them in the old single connector.

On everything I build after I get the pinout correct, I make up a new single kk connector and if I ever have to remove them again, they are all together on the single connector.

Actually, I find that on many boards today use the Intel standard front panel pinout. Check your connectors as they are attached before you remove them and compare them again the Intel pinout at;

http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/sr/sr_con.htm#FPC

Pin #9 (the +5v) is normally not used and pin #10 is normally missing.

rhorne4

Thank's for the input.Now i have to select a sff case.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online