1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will USB mouse over ride touch pad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TonyVT, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TonyVT

TonyVT Thread Starter

I'd like to add a USB mouse to my EeePC notebook. Will it over ride the existing touch pad while it's connected?

2. Sponsor

3. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Not sure about your notebook, but when I hooked a USB mouse up to my Toshiba, the touch pad still functioned perfectly with the mouse connected, so I could use either one.

4. TonyVT

TonyVT Thread Starter

Thanks.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

They should both work equally well, not sure what you mean by override anyway?

6. TonyVT

TonyVT Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was will the USB mouse block or otherwise prevent the touchpad from working while the USB mouse is plugged in.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

No it will not.

8. raybro

raybro

There is a variable to this question, at least if the mousepad is a Synaptics device like mine. It may or may not apply to other mousepad brands.

There is a a check box in my mouse properties that disables the mousepad and buttons when a USB mouse is connected. I tested this by checking the box then disconnecting the external mouse and the touch pad works normal then, but not when I reconnect the USB mouse. This is now my normal setup on my laptop.

See the attached thumbnail.

Raybro

Attached Files:

9. TonyVT

TonyVT Thread Starter

Many thanks to all who helped.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856766