Solved: Will Vista work on integrated graphins on motherboard?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rahimveron

Hello friends
I have a Intel 845GVSR motherboard with integrated graphics and RealTek Audio.
I want to know that will Vista work on this settings or i have to buy a graphics card?
I used the Vista Upgrade Advisor from Microsoft, it shows a problem with my integrated graphics.
Should i take the risk or be content with Win Xp?
Does Vista has classic display option or only Aero Display?
Answers would be very helpful.
Plz

davehc

David
Retired Trusted Advisor
A simple CPU with an integrated graphics processor will not always be good enough. A separate graphics processor, usually reserved for the gamer set, is almost always needed to take full advantage of Vista's graphics capabilities for the most graphics-rich version of ista, or Aero.
Officially, you can run a stripped-down version of Vista without a video card in a PC or a stand-alone graphics processor in a laptop. If you want the full benefit of Vista, buy a decent graphics card, because otherwise it looks like crap: It will be washed up and the colors will look bad. I'm sorry to say that , at this stage, Vista is no big deal. Stay with XP for a while.

Some do, some dont. Use the Vista Upgrade Advisor.

First requirement about video. For the Aero effect, you require 128mb of Video Memory.

So depending on your motherboard, it may be as simple as changing the dedicated video memory in the BIOS to enable the Aero effect. Note: onboard video uses the system RAM. so if you were to change from 32mb to 128mb, and you've only got 512mb of memory, you lose 96mb of RAM.

Squashman said:
Nothing a cheap video card won't fix.
Agreed. This is probably the best fix. If you've got agp you can get a decent enough video card for the effects, for around $100AUD.

rahimveron

Thanks for the prompt reply.
@davehc I will listen to your advice and stick with Win Xp
My vendor told me that i cant install a graphics card on my motherboard, so i ill wait till i need to upgrade the machine totally.
Again thanks for the prompt response

Of course Vista will run, but I think your real question si whether or not the Aero glass interface will be work? Without 128 mb of DEDCIATED Video Ram, it will not.

MMJ

jmwills said:
Of course Vista will run, but I think your real question si whether or not the Aero glass interface will be work? Without 128 mb of DEDCIATED Video Ram, it will not.
I had 128mb video card and aero still didn't work. You have to make sure that the video card has Pixel Shader 2.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
rahimveron said:
My vendor told me that i cant install a graphics card on my motherboard, so i ill wait till i need to upgrade the machine totally.
Again thanks for the prompt response
And did they tell you why that is. Sounds like they are feeding you a line to get you to buy another computer from them. What is the make and model of your computer or motherboard?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
jmwills said:
Without 128 mb of DEDCIATED Video Ram, it will not.
You don't need dedicated video RAM to run Vista or Aero, if you did then almost no brand name desktop or laptop would run Vista. For Aero you need a Pixel Shaer 2.0 capable GPU and 128MB of available video memory.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
rahimveron said:
My vendor told me that i cant install a graphics card on my motherboard
I wonder why not. It may not have an AGP slot but there are PCI video cards that can easily handle Vista, and even Aero.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Triple6 said:
You don't need dedicated video RAM to run Vista or Aero, if you did then almost no brand name desktop or laptop would run Vista. For Aero you need a Pixel Shaer 2.0 capable GPU and 128MB of available video memory.
Exactly! And for the most part, everything is starting to go Integrated. Intel loves selling integrated chipsets with video. Now that AMD bought ATI, they will be going that way as well. I think they are going to eventually integrate the GPU with the CPU.

MMJ

Squashman said:
Exactly! And for the most part, everything is starting to go Integrated. Intel loves selling integrated chipsets with video. Now that AMD bought ATI, they will be going that way as well. I think they are going to eventually integrate the GPU with the CPU.
That would be nice and not nice.

Since to be able to get a good video card you will have to get a good cpu.
---------

The most common thing that I haven't seen integrated is a modem. and most computers don't have them.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
MMJ said:
That would be nice and not nice.

Since to be able to get a good video card you will have to get a good cpu.
---------

The most common thing that I haven't seen integrated is a modem. and most computers don't have them.
That will be just for their low end systems. I am pretty sure they will still make dedicated Video cards for Gamers. That is a big market for them.

MMJ

Squashman said:
That will be just for their low end systems. I am pretty sure they will still make dedicated Video cards for Gamers. That is a big market for them.
wasn't thinking straight. :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online