Solved: Will Windows 8 automatically find programs already installed on D: drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tonyacardo

I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 8.
I have 3 questions about it.

Will it automatically find the programs I have installed on my D: drive or will I have to install them again?
Does it have a good emulator for Windows 95? I still have some programs designed to run on Win 95, they are programs I use and I do not want to abandon them.
Also, will Windows 8 allow me to use an interface that is point and click with a mouse. I do not have a touch screen.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As you are running 7 Ultimate 64 bit you can upgrade to windows 8 Pro 64bit and keep more or less everything see this

Upgrading from Windows 7
This is the simplest upgrade path of all. You can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from any version of Windows 7, and you can choose whether you want to migrate files, settings, and programs, just files, or nothing. Be sure to pay close attention to the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, which will alert you to any programs or drivers that must be uninstalled before the upgrade or updated afterwards.
quoted from this link
http://www.zdnet.com/article/everything-you-need-to-know-about-windows-8-upgrades-faq-part-2/

Here is the official Microsoft upgrade doc
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/jj203353.aspx

so you cannot upgrade and keep all to OTHER than windows 8 Pro

Yes it does have compatibility going back to win95 but that does NOT mean that the program will run without problems please see screenshot

Before you start run the windows 8 upgrade assistant
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

and the 8.1

You cannot upgrade to 8.1 from 7 and keep all. I do appreciate that you said to 8 however.
You can of course later on go from 8 to 8.1

Please ensure that you have all backed up - it can go wrong just like any other install.

Yes you can use it with a mouse and keyboard just as 7. It is not the OS itself that enables touch.

Attachments

tonyacardo

Thanks for the lightning fast response. I will look into this carefully and get back if I have questions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online