1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Will WoW Run on Intel Extreme Graphics?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gatewaypc700, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gatewaypc700

gatewaypc700 Thread Starter

I am thinking of buying a new computer, and I have found a good price for one. However, I don't know wheather it will run the games that I want it to.

It has Intel extreme graphics intergrated graphics card, and I would like to know if this will run WoW for the minimum. It has directX support and it says that it can run 3D games.

Cheers
    James

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If you could link the system you are thinking of buying, or give full specs people can give a far more informed response.

Having said that, I ran WoW on my laptop which was running an Intel GMA945 graphics card. Had to keep most of the settings down to pretty much minimum to maintain a decent frame rate and it struggled a bit in populated areas (Shattrath etc) but it was playable, I raided on it fine.

3. gatewaypc700

is this an inbuilt graphics card? Also, what is the age of the laptop. THe computer that I am thinking of buying was made in 2007, just before Vista took over everything.

4. gatewaypc700

Oh, and also, it has 2 pci slots, so could you recommend a decent pci graphics card?

5. sup2a

sup2a

2 PCI-e 16x slots or just PCI? you will need PCIe 16x to get a half decent cheap card, if you do have PCIe just buy a cheapish card, that should run WoW fine.... However im not sure if bliz have upped the system specs for the new expansion (not sure if its even been released in AUS yet :) ) that card SHOULD run WoW... not sure about the expansion though, give us the exact system specs and that'll tell us if you can run it.

6. gatewaypc700

Will work on specs, just got a brief about the price etc.

My slot is just PCI, so I am really looking for something just to run it on minimum detail etc, not to run it hard out.

P.S. the only thing that has been increased for WOTLK is the processing speed, from 800mz to 1ghz. Does that really matter?

7. sup2a

sup2a

are you sure its not PCI express? if not it should be AGP, an older graphics slot... you might have to pay a little bit more for a half decent AGP card, normal PCI cards are not worth it, rubbish performance for a terrible price. you might be able to play it on the current graphics cards, i used to play WoW on my integrated X200 and my friend used to play on an absolute rubbish 32mb Intel integrated piece of rubbish, didn't complain too much except when he turned the settings up just slightly the game would crash, on super low settings he was fine though.

8. gatewaypc700

Look, it is a pc designed to take up less space. The integrated graphics will run WoW, but I have found a pci card called nVidia fx5500. It will take up 70% of my bus speed to run it properly, but I only have 1 PCI slot, so I don't think that this will really matter. I DO know the 3 different types of graphics cards, as I have computers with both PCI-E and AGP slots. I am upgrading from a computer that has AGP, as it is too old. I have looked in to getting a computer with a graphics card slot, however, it would be WAY out of my price range for a decent computer. Oh, and upgrading my AGP one will cost the same as getting this new PC and a PCI graphics card for it.

I thank you for your help, and I have solved this problem.

Cheers,
    James

9. sup2a

sup2a

sorry if ive angered you or something, but for the future please be more specific in your question in the first place, like model numbers and system specs they really do help. PCI cards really aren't worth it, even if it does cost you the same there is no way it would be anywhere near as good as even an AGP card. If you feel this thread is solved please mark it solved via the button at the top of the thread

10. gatewaypc700

Sorry for that reply, I was a bit upset, and I took my anger out on you. I do apologize.

With this particular post, ill admit that it wasn't very specific, however, that is because I didn't get all the information until today. I do get where you are coming from, and I will ask one more question before I mark as solved.

Tell me honestly, will a PCI card be able to play a game on lower level graphics without lag?
    The game that I am looking at is Oblivion, but only because that is the game that requires the most lag currently in my possession.

Cheers
    James

11. sup2a

sup2a

I very much doubt it would be much better. PCI cards just cant get the performance out of the slots, VERY slow compared to PCIe or AGP a quick google search found this
    But quite honestly id say it wouldn't be too much better, however saying that i have no personal experience with PCI cards, ive never used any in any builds because of the fact the speeds just aren't up to PCIe or AGP take a look at these 2 articles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect and note transfer rates. And also if you can be bothered take a look at www.newegg.com and look at the reviews on PCI cards, good reference from real people who have actually used them, good site for references nto for buying stuff though... being in another country

12. gatewaypc700

Cheers for your reply, I have worked out, that if I get enough System RAM, then the Intel card it comes with will run my games fine. Cheers and I will mark as solved.
    =)
    James

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/773199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice