Solved: will XP new install on newer computer cause issues for activation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jrbuergel

First Name
Jim
I have a old XP Home Upgrade version with a slip streamed service pack 2 on it, which originally was for a Gateway desktop back in 2002, that has been sold since then. Can I install that with it's fully legal product ID code on my newer 09 computer but onto a external sata hard drive enclosure type connected by eSATA if I provide the sata drivers during the install and then do a upgrade to service pack 3 ? Or will the real road block issue be when I need to activate that XP since newer hardware ?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Since it is a Upgrade version I assume it inherited the characteristics (OEM or Retail) of the qualifying Windows.

If OEM it is "locked" to that original PC and should have gone along with it.

If Retail and you sold it (it was installed) along with the PC then it is no longer yours.

If it was used to upgrade a Retail Windows and you removed it from the PC before you sold it then you can install it on another computer.

jrbuergel

First Name
Jim
Okay thanks, that XP Home disk is a real Microsoft upgrade version with no OEM names on it like Gateway. But I did sell that computer with it still installed onto a new back then in 2004 80 GB hard drive, and it sold in end of 2008, so I guess I should not try to install that then, but look on ebay for one for sale.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Good luck finding a legal and genuine version on eBay. Make sure there are XP drivers for your computer before spending any money. It can be difficult or impossible to find XP drivers for computers/motherboards designed for Vista or latter Windows versions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online