1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: win 10 dual boot can win 10 find and run programs installed by win 7 "Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by johnesteer, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnesteer

johnesteer Thread Starter

i have win 7 and it is working fine with lots of programs, paid and free and many without discs etc.
    i expect to set up a dual boot ... win 7 and win 10
    i have never created a dual boot before and i'm not a "techy"

#1 can the win 10 find what ever it needs and run the "installed" win 7 programs?

#2 should i just plod along with the win 10 and gradually download and install programs on win 10 while using win 7 for most of my work until i get most of the programs running in win 10?
    i can't afford to buy a bunch more programs and i'm getting too old to just jump in and find and download/install a bunch of programs all at once

#3 how will auto updates of windows and other programs and drivers work with the dual boot setup?

thanks for your comments/advice
    :):):):)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    #1 No. Dual boot means separate and independent OS installations. You run one or the other, but only one at any given time.

#2 Yes, that'll work.

#3 Updates for Windows 8.1 and prior systems still unchanged. Updating in Windows 10 is broken, and apparently Microsoft intends it to stay broken. Updates are downloaded whenever Microsoft decides and you have no control on which are installed and the only way to prevent installation is to never restart or shut down and even that may not suffice. Maybe there are new non-obvious options that I just have not yet found.

3. golddust

golddust

Windows Update isn't just 'broken'. It has been removed from the Control Panel and will stay that way on purpose. It is still in PC Settings, but whether that is just so Windows 10 preview users can get their build updates or a permanent relocation we won't find out until the final product comes. out.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That is correct, golddust. But until and unless I can set "notify me when updates are available but I will decide when and if to download and to install" I will continue to call updates "broken." :)

5. johnesteer

Thank you very much for your comments and advice...thanks to all who provided advice
    One more question please,
    Is there an advantage to installing the "preview" in the dual boot section?
    Or should I just wait until the actual win 10 is available for install. That would be in July, correct?
    Thanks again
    John

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sure. But first, the major disadvantage is that you would be running a pre-release version that could possibly trash your "good" system. The risk is small, but don't ignore it. I have had the Preview dual booted on one of my laptops since the first build, but that is not my primary (nor secondary) PC. I also make periodic image backups of the "good" system.

The chief advantage in my mind is the ability to get a taste of the new OS before committing to it. Since it will cost no money that is less of a concern than for all previous Windows versions, but I haven't seen any proof yet that you can (easily and straightforwardly) get the free Windows 10 without "upgrading" (replacing) your current Windows 7 or 8.1.

7. renegade600

renegade600

one thing, win10 is an upgrade. you can create a dual boot but once you install win10 you will have to eventually remove the operating system that justified the upgrade, otherwise it could be declared non genuine.

you can set up a dual boot without any problems using the technical preview, IMO, since it is a little over a month before the actual released, it may be best to wait.

8. johnesteer

Thanks renegade600,but now you got me scared
    Which will be "non genuine"? If it is the win 7, then I expect there won't be many significant updates for it after release of win 10 so since my win 7 is working very well, what would be the issues if I can get most of the program's I need installed on win10, say by Christmas, and then can do virtually all of my stuf on win 10? I would keep the win7 as a "backup" system.
    I really appreciate you advice and from all others
    Oh, if win7is "non genuine", would the automatic update system continue to work but just not update the Microsoft stuff?
    Much appreciated
    John

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IF it is against Microsoft's licensing (and it probably will be) to use the free Windows 10 and also continue to use the Windows that is supposedly being upgraded then

a. we will not provide any help to do that;
    b. we will not provide any help for the "old" system (or the new one, depending on how the restriction is written); and
    c. you should not ask for such help here.

So, please do not continue with any questions like those in post # 8. Thanks for understanding.

10. johnesteer

Thanks
    I do not want to do anything ilegal
    Thanks for your clear response
    Guess if I want to set up a dual boot then I would have to buy a win 10 to have a a ilegal setup and thereby legally continue with the win7 gradually build up win10 with the set of programs thT I need
    Thanks to all

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That will probably be the case, but we do not yet know that for sure. At least, I haven't seen anything, Just going on the history of Windows "Upgrade" editiions.

You are welcome. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1149945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice