Solved: win 2000 network issue - troubled PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HOBOcs

Jim
I've got a troubled pc (viruses and spyware - massive) which I appear to have cleared up.. but I can't get to the internet.

Win2000 - onboard lan card
Hi-speed modem (Sympatico/bell connection)
Linksys Router - couple of hubs
DHCP is assigned by the Linksys 192.168.1.1
My main computer (Win98 SE) is 192.168.1.102 and the Win2000 Pro has been assigned 192.168.1.105.

I can ping both ways and get a reply but the win2000 can't get to the internet.
(I've ipconfiged /released / renewed stuff)
So, I just assigned an IP address to the Win2000 as 192.168.1.112 and assigned the gateway and DNS server IP addresses directly .. I can ping both ways again but no internet connection.

Wondering what I missed - Security policy or something on the win2000 .. not too familar with the win2000 pro administration stuff.

Help / direction appreciated.

Just out of curosity - have you tried using a different browser, ie firefox?

That would at least help find out if the problem is isolated to IE (I assume that's what you're using to test)

Have you tried pinging websites?

HOBOcs

Jim
Using IE,
Can ping yahoo.com from my main PC. I get unknown host from the troubled pc.

HOBOcs

Jim
Thanks... did the trick. - tried LSPfix before but this is good to know
Much appreciated Akito!
Beautee!! (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online