1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win 7 activation key

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by genoxano, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. genoxano

genoxano Thread Starter

In Sept., 2009 I purchased an HP Pavilion desktop preloaded with a Vista home premuim OS(64 bit) and it came with a free upgrade disk for Windows 7. At that time I did not choose to upgrade as Vista seemed to work fine. A few weeks ago something happened to my system and I thought I was going to have to replace the hard drive. I decided to try to reformat the hard drive and see if that would work before buying a new hard drive. As I still had the free upgrade disk for the Win 7, I installed it also. Surprisingly it worked, and with Tech Guy's help I have been able to get Win 7 running and I have all of my records restored.

I have been receiving messages that I must activate Win 7 in xx number of days or I will lose features of Win 7.I do not know what the activation key is or how to retrieve it. The sleeve or case that the Win7 disk came in has either been thrown away or misplaced during one of my wife's office cleanups.HP support offers no help and the same with Microsoft support.

What features will I lose ?
    What are my options ?
    What would I need to purchase, another Win 7 upgrade or a full version Win 7? Win 8 ?

2. ETech7

ETech7

If you can buy upgrade key that should work. But I am not sure how that will roll in case you need to reinstall. So I guess but a full copy. 7 or 8 - it's a personal preference, try 8, see if you like it, unfortunately price went up for it this month.

MS and HP should have answered those questions for you.

3. genoxano

genoxano Thread Starter

When you say "buy an upgrade key" . does that mean to purchase a Win 7 upgrade disk from a supplier or can you just buy a 25 number key from someone ? Also, what happens if I do nothing, does my computer just stop working ?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The Windows 7 DVD should have a key code on it or try the one that is on the sticker on the side of the CPU case.

5. ETech7

ETech7

Did you start installation of Windows 7 from within Vista, or you booted from the DVD? I think for upgrade license to work it has to see a licensed Windows installation first. But if you booted from DVD and performed a clean install, upgrade key might not work and a full license may be needed.
    Newegg has a %20 off promo for OEM Home Premium right now.
    When you buy a key it usually come with an option to download OS.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

I have seen it mentioned that if you don't activate windows, it will shutdown every hour.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!