Solved: Win 7 can't see router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Go!

I'm having a problem setting up my router in Win 7 Ultimate 64x.
The router is a Linksys wrt54gs ver 6.
I've had this router about 10 years and have set it up several times using other operating systems.
Win 7 won't see the router. I can't access the router through the web based setup page.
From the command prompt I type " arp -a" and it doesn't show the router.
Cisco Network Magic doesn't see a router.
I cant map the network because it is set to public, that's seems to be the problem but when I reset my homegroup then plug in the router, the OS automatically resets it to public.
I've reset the router several times and the Comodo firewall prompted me one time about the new network, but I've never been able to access it.
I reloaded the OS thinking there must be a setting that I've changed somewhere that I'm missing, but it did nothing.
I'm thinking that the router is too old and not compatible with Win 7, but from what I've read that shouldn't be the case.
Am I wrong here? Anybody have a clue?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Here is the support site for the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router With SpeedBooster.

Have you updated its firmware? Version 1.52.8, dated 03/17/2010

------------------------------------------------------

I've requested your thread be moved to the NETWORKING forum so the experts there can assist you.

-------------------------------------------------------

Turn off that third-party COMODO firewall, then activate the built-in Windows firewall.

Turn off the computer.

Unplug the router.

Unplug the high-speed modem.

Wait 30 - 60 seconds.

Plug in the high-speed modem, then wait for the lights to sync.

Plug in the router, then wait for the lights to sync.

Start the computer.

Did that help?

-----------------------------------------------------

Go!

Sorry for the wrong forum, I'll re post it in networking.
Updating the routers firmware is impossible if I can't access the router.
As previously stated, I reloaded the OS to make sure there were no conflicts with software or personal settings.
A brand new copy of Win 7 ultimate SP 1 does not see the router.
Rebooting the modem and router in the order listed, didn't do anything.
Thanks for your time.

Sounds more like a problem with the NIC on the computer, router port, or the ethernet cable.

Check the router and ethernet cable with another computer, if you have one.

Have you checked the NIC in Device Manager to see if it shows any problems?

Could be bad or wrong drivers for the NIC. Try downloading from the computer manufacturer's support site.
Make sure sure they are for 64bit?

Whatt does ipconfig /all show?

Go!

Cables are good and everything else checks out.
I tried it with my new laptop, same result.
I loaded Win XP because it worked with that OS before and i thought if could access it with XP, I could update the firmware. No good.
I guess the router is not working even although it shows all the right lights.
It's possible that I'm using a transformer from Linksys modem that I used to have and the voltage is wrong. The router doesn't show the power requirements. New router time.

Try accessing the router with no modem attached. My last modem had the same IP as the router.

It will simplfy matters, in any case, until you get access to the router. If you get in, you can assign a different IP to the router in its settings.

Be sure that you don't have the modem's IP set as your gateway when it is not connected. In fact, you could try setting the router's IP as the gateway.

As you may know, Home Groups only exist on Windows 7 machines. You cannot use them to communicate with any other operating system. They may be a boon to people with simple home networks, but they can also slow down normal networks and lead to confusion. If you are setting up a network with other machines that are not Windows 7, you may want to just go onto your services console and disable the HomeGroup services. I removed the option completely from my machine since I will never use it. It can be turned back on anytime you want it.

There is nothing in 7 that is so different that you should not be able to set this up just as you would on any other OS. So the problem you are having is probably a minor one of something overlooked.

Go!

So the problem you are having is probably a minor one of something overlooked.
Turns out that it is the wrong power supply. It's from a Linksys modem that I don't have anymore, 9 volt instead if 12.
The print is so small on the router that I missed it when I checked.
3 different operating systems on 2 different computers didn't see a router, had to be it.
Hours of searching for this problem in Win 7 with no results like my problem was a big clue also.
Call it solved.

Turns out that it is the wrong power supply. It's from a Linksys modem that I don't have anymore, 9 volt instead if 12.
The print is so small on the router that I missed it when I checked.
3 different operating systems on 2 different computers didn't see a router, had to be it.
Hours of searching for this problem in Win 7 with no results like my problem was a big clue also.
Call it solved.
LOL. Well, I really do have faith in Win 7, and you didn't give me any reason to question the machine you were using. That really narrowed down the possibilities.:D

Better be careful with those adapters. It could have been 24 instead of 9, or center-negative, and smoke would have been the result.

Glad you visited, anyway. Come back and help others, or yourself.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online