1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win 7 for use w/Refurbished PC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FFJones33, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FFJones33

FFJones33 Thread Starter

I am looking to get another copy of Windows 7 (Full version) - There is a "disclaimer" on the ones that I have seen lately that states that it is "Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC". What I would like to know is if this version is the same as a full retail version from Microsoft, or is it limited in some way ?? - Perhaps like the OEM version that can only be installed on one machine (not moved to another replacement system)

Thanks for any help

:confused:

2. pip22

pip22

You are right. An 'OEM' version, once installed, cannot later be transferred with the same Product Key on to a different PC. When that PC is scrapped, that Windows Product Key is no longer usable.

With a retail version, you can remove it from one PC and install it on another, using the same Product Key.

Take care to ensure that you can get Windows 7 drivers for the PC you intend to install Windows 7 on. Check the PC maker's website too see what drivers are available for that model.

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Just where are you finding versions of Win7 with this disclaimer? This is certainly pirated software.

4. FFJones33

FFJones33 Thread Starter

The one I am asking about is not the OEM version. It is sold in the "Normal Green Box" and contains both 32 and 64 bit software and is marketed as the "Full version". However there is a disclaimer printed in the media that states that it is intended for distribution with a refirbushed PC. It looks like a third version (OEM, Full Retail, and this one) Perhaps since MS has come out with Windows 8 - They are now marketing the full retail version as intended for distribution with a refirbushed PC ??

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

No, it is pirated software.

6. Lance1

Lance1

If this was pirated software, it would have no disclaimer at all. I think the OP has a system builders copy of Win7.

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Sorry, Bubba, there is no OEM version, or any other copy of Win7 that is licensed to "system refurbishers only", that can be bought online, or in a retail shop. I've been a MS partner and System Builder going on 14 years, and I know a bogus copy of Windows when I see one.

8. Lance1

Lance1

Bubba? wow... I'm cut deep.

9. jhparizona

jhparizona

No, that does not certainly mean it is pirated software. Why would you state and assume it is pirated? Pirated software almost never comes with any kind of disclaimer.

10. jhparizona

jhparizona

And where did you "See" this copy of Windows the OP is inquiring about?:confused:

11. jhparizona

jhparizona

Then why does Microsoft have these pages available explaining refurbished computers and Microsoft Windows licensing?

Refurbish website
    License PDF

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Snagglegaster, you continue to amaze me, and not always in a positive way. I too have never heard of a version for refurbishers only, but let's ask questions about maybe a link to one or to a license reference and skip the personal inferences.

And, nobody has said they even have one of those, so there's no question about whether we can help or not.

As long as I'm posting ... FFJones33, obviously we have interest in learning about these; can you gives us any helpful links. Or then retailers who offer these?

13. jhparizona

jhparizona

See my post regarding "system refurbishers only". Reading MS licenses always gives me a headache and this time is no different. However, as far as I can see, it is essentially and upgrade to an OEM license and the system would need to have both the original COA and this upgrade COA to be legal. If the original COA sticker is not available, then I would suspect the license would be invalid. As such, it would be almost identical in transferability to purchasing an OEM copy.

Hope this helps.

14. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

If you can find a legitimate link to any "refurbishers only" versions of Windows 7, I'll owe you a legitimate apology plus any points you want to give me. Otherwise, I expect a public apology. I'll give it a week.

15. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Yeah, in Texan, it just means "brother" or "friend". No need to be "cut deep".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078094