1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win 7 laptops keep losing XP computer on the network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kpmusicmom, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kpmusicmom

kpmusicmom Thread Starter

Hi! My problem is this. I just got two new win 7 laptops and my first wireless router. I had a friend come help me get the computers all talking to eachother. a few hours later, the laptops both no longer "see" the xp machine on the network. I talked to geek squad and they resolved it remotely on one laptop and left the following instructions to do on the other-

CONTROL PANEL > View By: Large Icons > NETWORK and sharing center > Change adapter settings > RIGHT CLICK your wireless connection(or wired if that is what you are using) > properties > Select TCP/IP v4 > Properties > Advanced > WINS (at top) > enable NetBIOS > OK x2 > DONE!

not too long after that it lost the xp computer again. I tried geeksquad again but they want $100.

Anyway, all three machines are still connected to the internet, I have mcaffe on the xp computer, and Bestbuy's Webroot on the laptops for protection software. any help would be much appreciated.

oh, and I just figured out that I can still print from the laptop to the printer hooked to the xp machine. just can't access files.

2. kpmusicmom

in the course of the day I ended up uninstalling the various security software on my machines and installed norton that comes with my comcast, and voila, now the laptop can see the home office xp machine. Yay! But, the xp is still not seeing the laptop or so I thought. I did some reading and took note of the whole workgroup/homegroup issue, and then i changed the workgroup name on the xp to match the laptop. that still didn't work, so I ran a network troubleshoot on the xp. It told me that there was an issue with the computers name not being unique, so I changed that too. Now, the xp computer shows both names (?) in my network places, and the win7 shows both names as well. The xp machine can see the win7 if you click on "view workgroup computers" or whatever it was, but can't see the shared doc files for the win7.

Any thoughts? it's weird, because even though the xp shows shared files for both the prevvious and new name, edits made in one are made in the other too. it's like there is some redundant nonsense that I just need to get rid of.

And, how do I get the win7 to stop showing the old name comp in network machines? it probably doesn't matter that it's there (doesn't connect to anything) but it bothers me.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Shut down all the computers and unplug the router for at least 30 seconds. Plug the router in. Now boot computers. Wait as much as 15 to 20 minutes for the Computer Browser service to do its stuff (sometimes slowly). Now if there are still issues tell us what they are and please show for all computers ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following commands:

nbtstat -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

4. kpmusicmom

After some more fiddling I've found out that if I refresh the network view in win7 it comes back. So all is well now I guess......

5. kpmusicmom

Thanks for the suggestions and i WILL =definitely come back if there are any more issues. this site is great so thanks for all the time you put in.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice