1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WIN 7 weather desktop "gadget"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SteveinSac, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveinSac

SteveinSac Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    Hello Techs; on WIN 7 home version, there's desktop "gadgets" that come with, and I've had the Weather gadget for years.... suddenly yesterday its disconnected, only a blue box with "cannot connect to service". I have full internet & e-mail, so I assume it's a Microsoft problem. I called them, we did a admin full-system scan, no help, & guy hadn't heard of this problem and couldn't help. Of course, right?? Anyone heard of this sudden problem and have a solution, I'd sure appreciate it, thanks! Steve in Folsom, CA.

2. Sponsor

3. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

It might just be temporarily down or it might be "out of business." A lot of gadgets just don't get supported anymore.

4. SteveinSac

SteveinSac Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    That's it, Brandon, it's gone away... I clicked on "get more gadgets" and Microsoft has discontinued gadgets, they are too dangerous & vulnerable to hackers, some were used to take over PC's. Too bad the Microsoft "expert" on the phone is clueless, woulda saved me some trouble! I'll have to find a replacement, thanks for helping. Steve

5. valis

valis Moderator

6. vigilant

vigilant

I am having the same issue. It stopped updating like 2-5 days ago. Now I closed it, and it says cannot connect to service. I hope it comes back.

7. valis

valis Moderator

It most likely will not.

8. Pied

Pied

They may have discontinued support, but that is NOT why the gadget stopped working. I have three systems in my garage, and my work system, all running Windows 7 x64, and all but 1 have working weather gadgets. I don't know the solution, but but it isn't like everyone's weather gadget stopped working...just some of us.

9. vigilant

vigilant

Oh really? Well I hope it comes back.

10. vigilant

vigilant

11. Kot86

Kot86

I just logged in to say its not "solved" in this way ("Gadgets have been discontinued", "Microsoft has discontinued gadgets" and so on)!
    Here how you fix this issue:
    Go to "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache", open "Config.xml" (RMB -> Edit) and save it (File -> Save) without doing any changes. After 10-20 seconds restart the gadget!

12. vizguy

vizguy

Kot86 - genius solution! Thank you. So much misinformation out there on this topic.

13. vigilant

vigilant

What is RMB?

14. Kot86

Kot86

vigilant, Right Mouse Button

15. vigilant

vigilant

Omg Kot86. thanks, the weather gadget is now updated and alive again.

16. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

I decided to try that. I'll probably get it sorted in about 6 months. :)

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice