1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WIN 7 & XP mode problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fenbrook2, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenbrook2

fenbrook2 Thread Starter

I just started using WIN XP Pro and I installed the XP Mode.I am trying to use Nero 8 in that mode and I keep getting one of 2 error messages. One says I need to reboot due to an earlier update...but when I reboot the problem si still the same. therwise I get a message saying I need DirectX ( or later and I have installed that. Any suggestions??

2. antech

antech Banned

Your post is confusing somewhat.
    Please make clear what you want to say.

3. fenbrook2

fenbrook2 Thread Starter

I am using WIN 7 Pro. I have installed Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode. I am trying to install Nero 8 using that virtual PC in XP mode. When I double click on icon to install Nero I get a message saying that due to an update to another program (perhaps Win 7 update) I have to reboot before I can install Nero. When I do reboot and get past that message then I get a message saying I need to have DirectX 8 or higher. So i installed DirectX 9. When I tried to install again I rotate between the one error messgae orr the other.
    Last night I gave up on trying to install Nero 8 and bought the new Nero 10. I downloaded it but when I click on icom to install I just get a black screen. Help with either of these problems would be aoppreciated

4. antech

antech Banned

The problem is NOT due to a pending update installation in Win 7
    Have you considered reinstalling the winxp mode again?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since Nero utilizes hardware (graphics card, optical drive), it's probably not going to function the way you want it to in Windows XP Mode. That's a completely separate operating system environment with emulated hardware.

What do you use Nero for? It's a huge suite of applications, but Windows 7 has native CD and DVD burning capabilities, so another program isn't needed for that.

6. fenbrook2

fenbrook2 Thread Starter

Ok I gave up on using Nero 8 and uninstalled the virtual PC. I bought the new Nero 10 which is supposed to be good for WIN 7. I downloaded it ok but when I clicked on it to install all I get is a black page
    I want to backup up exe programs and WIN & seems to only burmn\\n movies, pictures and music not exe files. Please help somebody...I hate to have wasted 89$

My attachment won't attach but it looks like black command box and at the top it says "c\downlo-1\nero-1-1exe"

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was so astounded by that (I think you are saying that Windows 7 doesn't write .exe files to CD/DVD) I just had to take time out to test it. It does work--see attachment. This is a CD-RW; didn't try with a DVD.

Sorry, I don't understand what's happening with your new purchase.

EDIT: OK, I think I now have the attachment. :eek:

Attached Files:

8. antech

antech Banned

Please let us know how the problem was solved

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is this solved, as marked? If so, please let us know what your solution was.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice