1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win 8 recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 152guy, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 152guy

152guy Thread Starter

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15R SE (7520) laptop with Win 8 installed. In attempting to install the correct drivers to make the AMD Switchable Graphics work (which in itself is a pain), on a reboot the OS fails to load (Goes past BIOS, says 'preparing Automatic Repair', then 'Diagnosing Problems', then comes up with an error message with the option to attempt repair. Once this is selected, it sits on a black screen with the Win 8 logo on, as far as I can tell, indefinitely). I have a copy of Ubuntu live on a memory stick and can boot to this, so can access my files and take them off; I was wondering if it is possible to create a recovery disk from the OS files/recovery partition in Ubuntu or Windows 7 (another computer)?

Many thanks in advance!

(P.S I used the BIOS hardware system check - everything was fine)

Dell Inspiron 7520, Core i7 3632QM, Radeon HD 7730M, Intel HD 4000, 750GB HDD, Windows 8 Standard x64 (Ubuntu Live 12.04)

2. 152guy

152guy Thread Starter

I restarted again, and this time, instead of giving an option to repair, it gave 'Shut Down' or 'Advanced Options' - advanced options allowed a system reset, which I then did. All programs needed to be re-installed and all files re-transferred, but at least the product keys still worked! So nvm, not sure why I wasn't getting that option before :/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice