[SOLVED] Win. 95

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SpencerW.

I have a new Win. Me computer but i was playing around on my old Win. 95 computer and i was wondering, how can i figure out the password to get into the bios?
when it starts up it says press F2 for setup. i pressed F2 and it went to a screen to put in a password and it says something about BIOS at the top so i guess thats how you get to the bios, how can i figure out what the password is though?

There's no way to find it if you don't remember it. To get in you'll have to remove the cmos battery (looks like a big watch battery) on the motherboard for awhile then put it back in. That'll remove the password.

SpencerW.

I know what i am looking for, but i cna't find it, would it be on the HD or on one of the ships that you can see just after takeing the cover off?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Try looking at the really big rectangular thing called the motherboard....it should be attached to the side of the computer case........you should be able to spot it there.

And to answer your question, yeah it'll reset the bios to it's default settings which will remove the password. Setting the bios back to it's defaults is the only way to remove the password.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
And I guess just to add.....since you mentioned win95....depending on how old the motherboard really is....it could be a round energizer type battery similar to a triple A, but less than 1/2 the size, and it could very well be soldered to the motherboard........

SpencerW.

Would that battery look like a fuse on the motherboard or is that something else? Also, how long do i need to leave it out?

Windows 95 computer.

Del

If you got the win 95 computer new and never entered a password, have you tried just clicking ok with password box blank?
Del

SpencerW.

I looked all over for a battery and couldn't find it so i found another way. i am good with stuff on the computer but when i take one apart, i have no clue what i am doing, so i found a way without takeing it apart.
Thx. anyway

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
And perhaps you would be willing to share that with us so we can help other persons who may encounter the same problem in the future?

;)

SpencerW.

Ok, as i put the whole computer back together like it was, since i didn't know what i was doing, i looked on the inside of the case, and it had little pictures that show you how to do a few things, such as remove the password to the bios and clear the bios and change the power source or something along with a few more things. It showed that all you had to do was place a little clip on a little bronze looking thing sticking out of the chip which it shows very clearly in the picture. thats what i did and it remover the password and i can get into the bios.;) No battery removement neccesary. :p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online