Solved: Win 98 DOS files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

renegade X

Can anyone please give me a list of the DOS files that WIN 98 uses. I am about to take the A+ and I am a little shaky with the 98 specific files. I have looked all over the web, and none of my studying stuff has the answer on this.

Thanks.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, but Win98 stores msdos commands in the C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND folder.

renegade X

No, I am not running 98. I just need a list of the files. Maybe from a websie or something. Any ideas or links. This is for studying purposes.

renegade X

Hey, sorry for the delay. LOL

Both of those sites are really in depth, but not what I am looking for. The files I am looking for are the ones that are loaded to boot the OS. (Config.sys, command .com).

I hope I am not loseing you here. Thanks for replies.

renegade X

Nevermind, I am a moron. The files were in one of my training manuals. :rolleyes:

IO.sys
MSDOS.sys
Autoexec.bat
command.com
config.sys
himem.sys
emm1386.exe
win.ini

system.dat
user.dat

renegade X said:
Nevermind, I am a moron. The files were in one of my training manuals. :rolleyes:

IO.sys
MSDOS.sys
Autoexec.bat
command.com
config.sys
himem.sys
emm1386.exe
win.ini

system.dat
user.dat
The number is really quite small. You should have no problems remembering them.

I'll mark this "solved" unless you feel you need to go further, but it looks like you have all the files now.

Found a few more DOS programs that Win98 uses.

The .exe ones are:
FTP
Telnet
Arp
Ping
tracert
nbtstat
mscdex
Extract
attrib
deltree
Find
fc
Label
Move
mem
Sort
subst
xcopy
smartdrv

The .com ones are:
diskcopy
Sys
Mode
Format
doskey
Choice
Edit
More

Renegade X:
Luckily, you have no interest in those files---that would be a lot to remember. LOL.

Yes, that is a lot to remember. One reason why writing them down or looking them up helps. In this case I searched for them since I certainly couldn't remember them all myself either.

But aren't those a "list of the DOS files that WIN 98 uses" which is what was requested in the first post? If so, I'm not sure why the negativity. Maybe just a bad day. Just trying to add to the list of DOS files for the guy or anyone else that might be interested.

renegade X

If so, I'm not sure why the negativity.
I hope that was not geared towards me?? Unless you mean when I called myself a moron. LOL

And yes you can mark this as resolved. Thanks for all of the help.

Not at all towards you. There was nothing negative at all in any of your posts. Hopefully you are interested somewhat in all those DOS files used by Win98.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online