1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] WIN 98 SE Hanging?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tjmoff, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjmoff

tjmoff Thread Starter

I just built a system using an ECS K7S5A, T-Bird 1.33, 128 mb Nanya DDR 2100, Ati Radeon VE SDR, onboard sound, lan and AMR modem. All goes great through install, no conflicts, no shared IRQs, etc. The problem is after the system is running for more than 8 hours (overnight), it is so sluggish to respond you can't even use it. A reboot cures the problem and returns the system to normal speed. I have a global win cpu fan and the proc runs at 105F, the system temp is 74F, I ran a ramtester program and it showed the memory passed all tests. I was going to change the DDR to PC 133 and see if that helps. Am I thinking the right way or not?

Thanks in advance
    tjmoff

2. $teve

$teve

thats the 1st thing i would try,simplest and at least you will be able to rule out the ram if its not the case,but i have a sneeky feeling it might be the culprit.
    post back with your results.
    good luck:cool:

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

tjmoff
    I would hold off on the Ram for the time being since I think you problem is more resource related. Try removeing most of your startup programs using MSconfig and see if that removes the problem.
    Go to start/run type in msconfig and enter. Select the startup tab and uncheck all listed except
    *statemgr (WinME only), systray, scanregistry, loadpowerprofiles (both), Tweakui if there,
    and any antivirus/firewall programs you have.
    After you made the changes click apply and restart the computer.

Try that for awhile and see if that solves it. If so then go to these two websites and review the other items in your startup group to see which you leave checked after problem is solved.

Heres a site that will help with the explaination.
    http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

also
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

If problem still persists try going into the power options off control panel and setting power schemes to always on and the other three items to never.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

4. tjmoff

tjmoff Thread Starter

Davey 7549: I have shut everything down except explorer and systray, left it overnight and still had the problem. I have the power scheme set to always on, the only thing I left enabled was the monitor(Princeton LCD15). I even went as far as disabling onboard sound and Lan and leaving out the amr modem and reinstalling windows from a fresh format, and I still get the trouble. I am hoping I can nail down the culprit soon, this is a system I built for a friend as a favor and he is coming back from vacation in a couple of days. Thanks so much for your help. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to post them.

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

tjmoff
    Explorer and systray are part of what you see in task manager
    when you do a cont,alt,del. The area that I am referring to is part of your startup group as displayed using the command msconfig from the run line.
    I believe your problem is either resource related or power management related. Try my suggestion above using msconfig and also follow through at disabling the power management items as suggested. Another Item you also could disable is ACPI in Bios if the above does not do the trick.
    Dave

6. tjmoff

tjmoff Thread Starter

OK, will do. Let you know how it goes. Thanks.

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

I think you will find your answer there somewhere.
    Dave

8. tjmoff

tjmoff Thread Starter

Ok, I found the problem. I was installing a driver for the Princeton LCD monitor my friend had just bought. It turns out the driver was not needed anyway. I wiped the drive clean and installed one application a day and let it run over night. I never encountered any trouble until I put his LCD in the mix and loaded the driver for it, and bingo! Thanks for the valuable info, I was ready to buy a new board and memory!

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

tjmoff
    Good detective work! Tedious and time consuming and a long approach but is worth the effort when you finally locate the offending critter.
    Again Good job! We will consider the problem resolved.
    Dave

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice