1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win 98 will not install

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 1_rob_1, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Hi
    When loading win 98, as the installation gets to the 'setting up hardware & finalizing settings', I get an error box which tells me that an error in a file has been detected & has been fixed. I then click continue. a couple of seconds later, another box is displayed titled Msgsrv32, This tells me that this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
    End of installation!!!!
    This pc has run 98 before, but has been repartitioned & formatted. It has an Athlon 700 mhz processor & 64mb of ram & a ms6191 mobo.
    Ive tried the isstallation a few times using different ram & vid card with the same results.

Any explainations or ideas?

2. Binary_Wolf

Binary_Wolf

Hiyas

From experience Msgsrv.exe is driver related. You might want to try going into the BIOS and disabling all the peripherals, such as sound, LAN, and USB. Once windows is installed and running smoothly, you can enable them again.

Regards
    BW

3. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Just tried a different hd, no errors were displayed, but the comp froze at the same place, restarted & got bsod.

Changed back to original hd, disabled all on board peripherals & started again.

4. 1_rob_1

1_rob_1 Thread Starter

Thanks Binary_Wolf, :) followed your advice & it worked a treat. (y)

5. Binary_Wolf

Binary_Wolf

Hiyas

I'm glad it worked.

Regards
    BW

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice