1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Win 98 wont boot after Roxio Go Back install

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Procession, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Procession

Procession Thread Starter

:eek: Installed Roxio GoBack recently and now cannot boot up in anything other than safe mode. It wont let me uninstall either. Here is my dilemma so far (pasted from another board thread I started)...

Help!!

I installed Roxio Go Back 3 on my system (Win 98 SE).
    After restart my O.S. will only boot up in Safe Mode.
    I went to Symantec's help page and identified the problem as most likely a clash between my BIOS ( Phoneix Net) and the software. It gives instructions on how to fix it but I cant find the relevant headings within the bios. All I can turn up is ' Advanced Bios Features' in the main menu with no mention of the 'Phoenix Net Installation' heading. Am I looking in the wrong spot ? My bios was loaded on in 1999 so I guess its menu is probably a bit dated.

Can anyone pls. help me out ..?
    Thanks.

P.S. Here's the help file from Symantec...

Situation:

You installed GoBack and restarted your computer as prompted. At the point where the GoBack boot screen disappears and startup continues, the system stops and displays a blinking white cursor in the upper-left corner of the screen.

Solution:

This situation can occur with computers that use the Phoenix BIOS. Solving this problem requires access the BIOS setup. If you are not familiar with the BIOS, then you may want to seek the help of an experienced user or computer technician for assistance.

Most computers display a prompt during startup that indicates which key to press to access the BIOS. If a prompt does not appear, or if you experience problems accessing the BIOS program, then refer to the user guide that came with the computer, or contact the computer manufacturer for assistance.

After starting the BIOS program, use the following instructions to change the settings of the system BIOS:

Select BIOS Feature Set Up, and then press Enter.
    Select the value listed to the right of PhoenixNetInstallation.
    Change the value to No by using the Page Up or Page Down key.
    Press Esc once to return to the main menu.
    Select Save Changes and Exit, and then press Enter.
    Confirm the changes, and then exit the BIOS.

If GoBack is currently enabled, then your system should begin starting your operating system.
    If GoBack is disabled, then reenable it from the desktop.
    If GoBack is uninstalled, then reinstall it, and allow your system to restart.

brad

I understand your confussion. Not sure about where in the bios they mean either.
    Did you try this suggestion?
    brad

Procession

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm still stuck.

I have tried using the gb_exe. in dos mode (from a floppy). It appeared to remove the GoBack settings but my boot problem is still occuring. During bootup I keep getting the error message:

'Windows Protection Error... you will have to restart your computer'

I have also tried the Cntrl+ Alt + G method to force Go Back off the master boot record though it dosen't present me with the 'F" option !?

Pls,pls,pls don't tell me I have to reformat. I couldn't stand it.

From other posts I see that Go Back is not all its cracked up to be.

brad

Try uninstalling "GoBack". I had it and it caused very long boot delays. Once uninstalled, you can try re-installing in "Safe Mode".

Procession

The problem is that for some reason this awful program wont uninstall in Safe Mode and I have no way of booting up other than in Safe Mode.

Could I remove it by editing the registry manually ?
    And if so, could you give me some newbie pointers.

I cant think of any other options.

2. suesman

suesman

I've been using Go Back for a long time man ( using version 3 now ) & I have never had a single problem with it. I started using it back in '99 & have been upgrading ever since. I'll look around for some answers, because I sure don't have one.

It's always installed & functioned just like it should for me. Saved my butt a few times to boot.

3. twisted_mind

twisted_mind

Hey Procession, i advise u to hang on for a while.Someone here will most likely have a solution for u...from the problems with Go-Back that i've read on the net, it writes smth to ur boot sector....so maybe the Fdisk /mbr command might format ur boot sector n u might be able to boot into windows.BUT Don't do it as yet.....as i said i'm not sure it will help or not.It could make things worse too......Hang on till then...Wait for the gurus on this site to have a look at ur prob :)

4. Rache

Rache Banned

If you've got NAV then these 2 may conflict. The fix is to uninstall NAV (or Nortons) then reinstall GB, then install NAV.

5. Procession

I don't have NAV. The prob is that Go Back clashes with my BIOS -(Phoenix Net Award ). It won't uninstall in Safe Mode, and I can't boot up any other way.

Twisted Mind- could you give me more info on what Fdisk/mbr does and how to use it.

P.S. here is a continuation of my other thread...

Brad

Ok.... Try the method Symantec recomends:
    If GoBack does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list, you can uninstall GoBack by using the installation CD:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: You must use the installation CD for the version of GoBack that was installed on the computer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Insert the GoBack installation CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    Click Start and then click Run.
    Type the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive followed by a colon :)) followed by \setup /u

For example, if your CD-ROM drive is drive D, you would type:

D:\setup /u
    Note: If you have the international version of the CD, you must also type the country folder as part of the path. For example:

D:\usa\setup /u
    Click OK.
    Follow the prompts to uninstall GoBack from the system.
    When the computer restarts (as part of the uninstall), click Start and then click Run.
    Type the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive followed by a colon :)) followed by \setup

For example, if your CD-ROM drive is drive D, you would type:

D:\setup

Click OK. You should see a message that GoBack has been uninstalled successfully.
    See if that helps. If it doesn't you can probably manually run the setup from msdos.
    brad

Procession

Brad, this is like a bad dream. My ever helpful child decided to take some craft scissors to a bunch of my roms (including Go Back !!) :(
    Personally, I would have handed her it myself but she could have waited a few weeks before the ritual sacrifice !
    Anyway, is there any way of getting this uninstall file you talk about. Will I have to buy it again just so I can uninstall it ?!

Procession.

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Just a thought but try going to a Dos prompt and entering SCANREG /RESTORE Then pick one of the restores just before you installed goback.

FDISK /MBR rewrites the boot partition on your hard drive which should work as long as your hard drive doesn't load off any disk software like ezybios or maxblast.

7. twisted_mind

twisted_mind

Procession, as Lurker said in the above post....the fdisk /mbr command formats the master boot record where go-back writes something.I'm not well-versed with this, but thats one way to get rid of Go-Back if u r having problems with uninstalling it or having boot-up problems with it.
    Someone here should have a better n easier solution, so i'd advise u to hold on. :)

8. Procession

Thanks for your continuing help guys.

Calling all gurus and genius'. I am slowly drowning in the inky blackness of DOS-ville.
    (Sorry 'bout that but it beats slashing my newbie wrists..:( ).

By the way, does ' Windows Protection Error' describe anything specific or is it just a general error message ?

Also, how do I launch Fdisk/ mbr if I get desperate enough ?

Lurker, doing the 'Scanreg/ restore' thing, - is it risky. Does Windows backup the original registry automatically ? I have not made any back-ups personally.

9. buckaroo

buckaroo

No risk involved. Windows does keep record of (I think) five days of previous registry bootup configurations. So, you only have a limited time window to use this option.

10. Procession

Well guys, I am back into Windows proper !! Thankyou all so much !!

Lurker, the Scanreg/rstore option did the trick. I just booted up an earlier cab file. It was so basic I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, there didn't seem to be any trace of Go back in Add/Remove programs or the registry ( I hope), so all I had to remove was the program folder.
    I think perhaps my registry is partially damaged somewhere as I can connect to a server but not use IE 6 to browse. Windows has also forgot how to recognise my jpeg files.
    I am getting the following error path in IE 6

'res://c:\Windows\System\Shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm'

Can anyone shed light on this and will I have to reformat my hard-drive? I have tried repairing IE 6 with no luck.

Procession.

11. Procession

It's ok, I fixed the problem. I knew it wasn't a server problem as I could connect and use ddl progs like Flashget. The problem was that I uninstalled Ghostsurf .
    After going to the makers website I realised that it had reset set my default dial up path to its own proxy settings. Once I unticked the proxy boxes under Tools/Options (in explorer) it was able to connect again.
    You have to reset it manually. Uninstalling the prog is not enough.
    This prob is listed on the maker's website.

Thanks all again for your help.
    Signing off...
    Procesion. ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice