[SOLVED] win 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

conlo

When I first got my pc ,it was loaded with Encarta 97. Later I erased my hard drive by formatting it and installed Win 98 from scratch. Now when I try to open Encarta it tells me that I already have the files in another OS. So now I cannot seem to uninstall or reinstall the program.
Any suggestios?
Conrad

Select Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and see if you can locate Encarta. If you can select Remove. Then install Encarta. Let us know what you find and happens.

conlo

I did go to ADD?REMOVE and removed Encarta. I then found it in the trash bin and emptied it to hopefully leave no tace of it. I then inserted my original installation disk of Encarta which is part of Home Essentials. I still get the same message saying the exact following message:"Setup has detected a version of Windows that already includes the updated files or enhancements you are attempting to install. "
And then by clicking on DETAILS, It says:" Do not install Win95 over Win 98. If you do neither versions of the OS will be usable. You can return to Win 95 only if you upgraded to Win 98 from Win 95 and saved your Win 95 system files."

conlo

Thank you, Dan O. I did not have regclean, but I did download it and used it to clean the registry. I then made sure I had the correct installation disk, and yes it did work.
Thanks again
Conrad

Conrad,

That's cool and thanks for letting us know it worked. I will mark this thread solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online