1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win Office 365, "Something went wrong" error

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bilnrobn, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    I bought Office 365 when I bought an HP All-In-One with Windows 8.1 last December. It worked fine until this week when I find if I try to open Excel or Word I get a message...

<Something went wrong
    We couldn't start your program.
    You can go online to find more help.> ('Go online' is a link)

First I tried to repair via "Programs and Features" Both the "Quick" and "Online" options took me back to the above message.

Next I clicked the link in the "Something went wrong" message.I followed the prompts, "Go to your account page" (a link), then "Install", then "Save file" This sent a file to my Downloads, Clicked the download and after a while I got a new message...

<Couldn't start Office installation. Go online for additional help>

This puts me back into the loop described above.

Any suggestions please? After the above I decided to restore to an earlier date to see if that would do it. Can't Win 8 do a traditional install? I could only find how to "Refresh" the computer and this involved completely reinstalling Windows and says I'd need the disk or memory stick. As I bought it from a store with Win 8 already installed I wasn't given a disk or memory stick, so that's out. Anyhow, I don't need to reinstall Windows; it is fine, I just wanted to restore to an earlier date for which no internet connecting or disks should be required.

Maybe the easiest solution is to uninstall Office completely and download Open Office?

Bill in Oz

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Restore is available
    try
    To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, then click Search.)

Enter Control Panel in the search box, then tap or click Control Panel.

Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, then tap or click Recovery.

Tap or click Open System Restore, then follow the instructions.

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Wayne. I am bound to want to do a restore at some time and knowing how will be very useful.

Regarding the MS Office problem, I think I'll call it solved as today I installed Open Office to have a look at it whilst I awaited an answer to my query. I'm very impressed. Will check it out some more before deciding, but I think I'll just dump MS Office and change to Open Office.

Thanks for your help re the Restore question, much appreciated

Cheers, Bill.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    If you stop using msoffice make sure you un-subscribe

5. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Hadn't thought I'd need to do that. How do I do it when I can't get into MS Office?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you loginto the webpage

office.com/myaccount

i'm assuming as you have 365 you will have a personal or home version which is £60/80 a year

7. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Yes that's right, but it didn't occur to me they would just bill me without prior warning. how do I go about cancelling?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it would depend on how your billing is setup - some are auto renew , you would get an email to say they are taking the money

whats in the billing section
    https://support.office.com/en-in/ar...cription-d219b5a5-9443-44cf-bcfa-80a052bdd18c

9. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    I don't have anything from them about that. I bought Office from the computer retailer when I bought the computer last December. It lists Office separately to the computer, but no mention of renewing after a period at all, though I do know it involves an annual charge. The invoice does say "422134 Microsoft Save Now FY15 422134" I take "FY15" to mean it covers the full year 2015. Think I'll take the documentation back to the supplier and talk to them about cancelling any future payments. I did pay by credit card, but think it would be breaking privacy laws for them to pass the number on to Microsoft without telling me.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  11. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Looking on the link you've given me I see "Q: How will I know when to renew my subscription?
    A: As the end of your subscription approaches, you&#8217;ll get renewal notices within Office and via email."

So I guess renewal is handled in the usual way. I'm guessing they don't have my credit card details and I would have to act to renew, so no problem likely. I'll talk to the retailer anyway just to be sure.

Thanks for your help on that Wayne; much appreciated.

PS, just went to office.com/myaccount and it says the subscription ends on 11th December and that automatic renewal is "Off". So all good!

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    excellent - glad to have helped

you can change open office to save files as excel/word 2003 XP version if you want to rather than the open format

under options - you will see load/save options for each of the different programs

13. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    I have done some testing with people I send copies of excel docs to. I sent them a copy in OO format and another in Excel 97-03 format. They have varying spreadsheet programs and all could open both alternatives, so no problem there.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice