1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Win XP blue screening. Is there a program to run to see what's the problem?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computer-aces, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

I just built a new computer for one of my friends and now it's at his house and it's doing the BSOD memory dump. It's a P4 2.4 GHz (533 bus), 300 Watt P4 approved power supply, 512 mb ddr pc2700 333 mhz, Gigabyte GA-8ST-L motherboard (using the onboard NIC and the onboard sound is disabled), 64 MB DDR AGP ATI Radeon 7500 All in one capture card, SB Live Digital PCI sound card, 80 GB W.D. 7,200 ATA 100 8 mb cache hard drive, 56X CD-ROM, Aopen DVD+RW / CDRW IDE, and a floppy drive. The motherboard has the latest BIOS dated Aug. 8, 2002. There is another one out there, but it's beta and only fixes USB 2.0 problems with Win. 98 and he's using Win. XP Professional. The chipset is SiS 645DX. I don't have the exact BSOD message, but he'll write it down next time.

I was wondering if there was a program out there that he could run that tells what the problem is. There are no IRQ conflict and nothing is using the same one (sharing). All the hardware has the latest drivers (from web sites - not CD's). Win. XP has SP-1 on it with all the critical updates.

He said it mostly blue screens when he's trying to capture video with his ATI card. But, he said it did happen one time right when it booted up.

Does anyone know of any of the above hardware conflicting or some strange problem with anything in XP that would do this? Could the RAM be bad? I'd hate to buy another one and it do the same thing.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for being long winded, but I figured too much info is better than not enough.

Cory

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

the bsod message will usually give you a pretty good starting point.

you could check the event logs also.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. computer-aces

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot. Here's the BSOD messge...

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8059231E, 0xEF0A88F8, 0x00000000)

Beginnning dump of physical memory
    Physical dump complete

Sounds like it could be bad RAM...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b315335

I'll get him to do the ATI update and see if that fixes it. If it don't, I'll replace the RAM.

Thanks,

Cory

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ram is certainly a possibility with that stop message, but it should also indicate a driver associated with the stop, that should be noted as well.

6. computer-aces

Here's what he sent me today...

I got the message twice since:

1. I don't think I was doing anything when this happened:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Tech info:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xEF773163, 0x00000000, 0x805965E6, 0x00000000)

2. Here I was running Ulead and tried to surf the net at the same time:

Tech info:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8057EC15, 0xEFA9B5E4, 0x00000000)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So... They both reference bad memory. So, this might be the problem.
    But, they also both say bad drivers. He's going to download and re-install the ATI drivers from the ATI site.
    I'll keep everyone posted on what the verdict is.
    If it keeps BSOD'ing, then it must be the RAM.

Cory

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. computer-aces

I helped him get the new ATI drivers installed and we'll see what happens.

He says it is not listing a file on the BSOD screen.

I told him to check the event viewer for anything there, but he hasn't got back to me with any info about that.

Cory

9. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

try running it with a different stick of memory for a few days

10. computer-aces

I sent him some RAM that I know works. He said the computer still gets the BSOD message. He said he now get the 0x00000074 error message. The computer won't boot up at all, it just goes to this error every time. We also tried another AGP video card and it did the same thing. Could it be the power supply? CPU? Motherboard? I don't have any spare one of those to test it out. The above error has to do with RAM, but he still got this with the new RAM I sent. Here's the MS site with the error's details... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326679

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Cory

11. computer-aces

I finally found the solution to my problem with my friend's computer. Something in that computer didn't like some RAM. Either the motherboard didn't agree with it, or video card, or XP or whatever. I even tried various types of RAM, but I tried one Micron chip and it's stable now. So, I guess the moral of the story is - buy good RAM.

But, the ati3d1ag.dll error mentioned in the BSOD sounds like an ATI driver problem. Try uninstalling the ATI driver files and put a standard VGA driver and make sure to clean up any leftover files left by the ATI programs. Especially delete ati3d1ag.dll Then, go to the ATI site and get the latest drivers for your video card. Be sure to read the directions on how to install - some times you have to do strange things for ATI drivers to work right.

Cory

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Tx for the follow-up!

13. Insight

Insight

Hello
    I purchased a new computer and upgraded to Windows XP Pro. I get the same blue screen error messages....I used to get 20 blue screens a day, with different error messages. Got tired of trying to look all the codes up, placing drivers in the Driver Verifier, searching for updates, uninstalling and reinstalling Windows XP. Brought a program called "AntiCrash" for $25. The program doesn't lead you on a wild goose chase, it searches your registry, finds the problem, tells you what the problem is, then fixes the problem, without sending you on a chase to find out what all the 0's and 1's mean on the blue screen. All that is good to know, if you plan on making a career on solving computer problems but if your like me, the average Joe, you want a program that will find the problem and fix it, so you can get on with your work.
    Now, my Blue Screens are down to 3 a day and some days, none at all. Worth a try, if it doesn't help you, you can get your money back. I am keeping this program, it is either that or enter a Microsoft class for troubleshooting blue screens. Hope this helps you because I had tried everything I knew to try in the Windows XP Pro book. AntiCrash is sold all over the internet.
    God Bless
    Insight:)

14. sexibwoy

sexibwoy

Uhm, Insight? I would take that computer back to wherever you bought it from. ITs sad that you would settle for 3 blue screens of death a day. I built my computer by hand i'm i'm telling you, i don't settle for ANY problems. You need to get what your money is worth. Another solution you guys can try is to use the system file checker. When you have a command prompt up, type sfc /all. you'll need your operating systems disk.

15. Insight

Insight

Thanks Sex, will give this a try and you are right, I should have sent this computer that I brought over the internet, back to the seller, it's still under warranty.....I still might send it back. Would like to learn how to build a computer myself. Thanks again for the info. Will take it for a spin around the block and kick the tires:) :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice