1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: win xp can boot safe mode, not normal mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by needsleep, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needsleep

needsleep Thread Starter

I have a dual boot linux/xp system.
    I was looking at partitions - just listing them - in linux, and now win xp won't come up in normal mode. It will come up in safe mode, however.

Can you help me get my "normal mode" back?

When the horizontal moving bar comes up in normal mode, it just goes on forever. I see the disk light go on for about 8 cycles of the bar. It usually runs 11 cycles before giving me the user selection screen. Now the disk light goes out after cycle 8, and the bar keeps going. I waited 32 cycles before giving up.

I also recently tried to install a Dell XP reinstallation CD I had onto a new partition. I have Partition Commander, which I only run against Windows partitions. The program correctly identified an empty partition and said it had hidden all other partitions. This may or may not have anything to do with my current problem. It did happen in the time frame of the problem appearing. The CD was not able to install XP. It said something about analyzing my system. I left it to do that as I went out for the evening, and when I returned 3 hours later, it was still in that state, so I killed it.

2. needsleep

needsleep Thread Starter

I had done a full back up using Acronis backup software (a new product for me) 3 weeks ago. When I exhausted what meager options I could think of, I rebooted with the bootable Acronis CD and restored that backup. Acronis won my 4 vendor test (others were Norton Ghost, Argentum, NovaStor NovaBackup) for best backup product. It is capable of taking a backup of any partition (linux or windows). I have now tested the restore to all of C. It first deletes the C: partition, then recreates it and copies the image there to. Worked like a charm. Access to XP has been fully restored. Backup took 1 hour, restore took 37 minutes. I'm now a believer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!