1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] win xp compatibility

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ladderrack, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladderrack

ladderrack Thread Starter

I have a new computer factory loaded with win xp home version. The printer, digi cam, and webcam I received for christmas will not work with xp. How do I remove xp from my machine and install windows me? ( I have a licensed copy of win me already )

2. thingy

thingy

ladderrack

Before you you take that drastic step:

A) - Go here and check out the hardware compatibility:

http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp

B) - Then go to the sites of your hardware manufacturers and
    download the latest XP Drivers

I don't have XP yet but by all accounts it's worth persevering with.
    The problem is probably that the software (including Drivers) that came with your hardware is not XP compatible but as the gifts are new you should be able to find Drivers for them.

If the manufacturer's sites don't have the relevant Drivers for XP, I understand that Win2000 Drivers will often work but I can't guatrantee that.

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

WinME is horrible compared to XP. So yes, think hard before installing ME.

4. Dan O

Dan O

As Thingy suggested I think you only need to get the XP drivers to make them work. If you have free disk space you could install Windows separately, and use dual booting. Edit the file c:\boot.ini and add Windows ME.

i.e.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows ME"

Boot.ini is a hidden system file, so you may have to change your view options to see it.

5. bigcfromcinci

bigcfromcinci

ME is horrible compared to XP..I'm sure the drivers are available.I'm running XP on 2 pc's and a lappy and couldn't be happier :)

6. ladderrack

I had me on my previous computer and had no problems with it. Personally, I think xp is a piece of junk, and I WANT IT GONE. I am sorry none of you seem to understand this, but having to try to search out drivers and download them is ridiculous. I am not even slightly interested in keeping this system on this machine, wether it be dual boot or not. Can someone help me wipe out this garbage system?

7. pogg15

pogg15

The more RAM the better--128 barely O.K.'d---256 min. for me and 512 with Pentium 4 is better---can handle gig of RAM with the two--large hard drive a must--20gig/min--patch security holes from web-site--good virus program installed AFTER xp--then the fun begins---very demanding /challenging setup from ME--character building for patience/I like this system now and will later when the "nuances" manifest

8. angel

angel

If you would like to totally wipe XP and install ME, you'll need to make sure you have backups of all that you want to keep because everything will be deleted from the drive. I wouldn't worry too much about saving the drivers because you'll probably need different ones for ME anyway.
    Here's a quick rundown. If you're not familiar with any of the steps, post back and we'll give more detailed instructions.
    1. Reboot with a Windows ME boot disk (you can get one <a href="http://www.bootdisk.com">here</a> and run fdisk to remove your existing partitions.
    2. Create your partition(s), reboot, and format.
    3. Remove floppy/insert Windows ME cd. Set your BIOS to boot from CD-rom and restart. The install should start on boot.

9. ladderrack

ok, I downloaded the win me boot disk, and copied it to floppy. From this point forward, I am totally in the dark as what comes next. Sorry, but I am not up on the real technical stuff. Am I going to have a problem with things like video drivers, sound...etc..? As of right now, there is nothing on my machine that I need to worry about losing, so backup is not an issue. I just want to make sure my machine will work when I am done. Will my cd burner still work? I just don't know anything about this kind of stuff, and any help would be most appreciated, thanks

10. angel

angel

Did you copy the file you downloaded to the floppy? If so, you need to place it on your hard drive somewhere, insert a blank floppy and double-click the downloaded file to place the needed files on the disk. You can then reboot with the disk in the drive. Be sure to test it to make sure you can access your cd-rom drive from it by typing 'e:' at the a: prompt and then 'dir' to get a file listing of the cd (this is assuming you only have one hd with one partition - the cd-rom drive gets bumped up one)
    You don't technically need to run fdisk if your drive is fat32 (if it's ntfs you will need to remove the partition(s) and recreate because ME won't recognize it) - you can just reformat by typing 'format c:' (repeat for any other partitions you may have).

I tried to find a good site really quick that will give you detailed instructions of what to do. <a href="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/5220/fdiskformatr.html">This</a> is what I came up with quickly. You'll already have your boot disk so you can skip that part. If I find a better one, I'll post back. Also, <a href="http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html#14">Here's </a>a bit that rkselby has on his site.
    Really, once you get your drive ready to go, the install will be a piece of cake.

Windows will probably find the majority of the drivers for you but maybe not all. Before installing ME, I'd suggest you know the brand/models of your hardware and go to their website to download the appropriate drivers. Burn them onto cd if you would like (recommended).

11. ladderrack

Hey, thanks guys for all the advice. I have been put in contact with a guiy in my local area who is willing to set my machine up as a dual boot, at no charge to me. This person is someone who I can trust, and I will be taking my machine to him tomorrow and he says it will only take a couple of hours to perform the whole thing. Once again, THANK YOU for the help. I will post back when I get my machine back and hooked up. THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!

12. angel

angel

Thanks for letting us know and good luck!

13. ladderrack

Hey guys, I just got my machine back, and am happily running a dual boot now between win me and, somehow, I was magically upgraded to xp pro, instesd of home version. I just wanted to say thanks once again for all the advice and help all you fine people offered up to me in my time of need. Also, all my devices are working fine on me. Once again, thank you all

14. Dan O

Dan O

That's great news, I will mark this thread solved.

Have a Happy New Year.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice