1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win XP crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wolfworx, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I consider myself pretty computer savvy, so when I run into a problem I can't resolve, I usually have other experts at a loss to provide a solution. Well... here is a new one.

Yesterday my computer stopped working. It will just not boot. Oh it goes through POST and all but when it begins to load Win XP Pro, It just hangs.

I believe I may have an unreadable C: partition on the drive, but have no easy way to tell.

I can boot to DOS with a floppy and get directory readings from the second and third partitions on this drive, but cannot get a read on the first partition.

After much further investigation with no new discoveries, I removed the drive and decided to install XP Pro on a 4GB drive I had lying around.

To my surprise, after booting from my CD, I could not get Win XP to install on the 4GB drive. installation went forward only to the point where the screen displays "Setup is starting Windows" (displayed in the status line at the bottom of the screen) and hangs. I tried another spare drive, same result.

Now I am really worried. At first I thought that an OS install on a new drive and a day's work to restore all my drivers an apps would be the worst case. Now I am wondering if there is a hardware problem with my system as well -- system board and processor replacement? Groan!:eek:

Can anyone shed some light on just what is going on here?

Although, I have not tried, I may be able get Win97 running on this machine -- to rule out hardware problems and hopefully recover some data on the original drive.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

SOunds like you have a bum hard drive. I would take this hard drive and insert it into another computer as a slave drive and see if you can access it there, If you can backup all of your data to another media like CD-R or DVD. Then return it to the original computer as a master drive and try formatting it. Oh while it is in the second machine if you have a bad partition you might be able to fix it with Partition MAgic. You also might want to check out the hard drive manufacturer's web site for any special hard drive diagnostic programs they might have.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes 4 gb drive is hardly a drive of choice and is probably also bad. Of course XPcd could be dirty, so could cd drive you are using as the install of XP puts a severe strain on everyhting and shows up problems playing a music cd never will but I would bet both hard drives are shot for install purposes anyway.

4. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions, but I don't think that is the cause.

Since my last post:

1. I have tried to install on two additional hard drives -- same result.
    2. I have tried another CD/DVD drive -- same result.
    3. I have tried an installation with another XP CD (XP Home) -- same result.
    4. I successfully installed Win 98SE on one of the spare hard drives.

This problem has me completely puzzled. Kind of makes me want to toss the whole computer! Oh well... it does seem to like Win98 OK.

5. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Could the processor overheating be causing my problem?

The computer is adequately ventilated, but perhaps the heat transfer compound is not doing its job.

Getting the heat sink off to re-apply the transfer paste is not a problem, but reclamping the heat sink is a real hop in the you know what! :mad:

So before I shell out ten bucks for the heat transfer goop, what do you think? Like chicken soup?

6. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

System is back up and running. HD was OK but OS must have been messed up enough to make the partition unreadable.

I used Vcom Fix-it Utilities 6 and it repaired the C: drive partition. This product was well worth the money.

Still... :confused: I do not know the cause of the problem in the first place and why I had a problem of installing Win XP on another Hard Disk.

I still think processor overheating may be a problem and I should probably re-apply heat transfer gel.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!