1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win XP Error - Error Code - 000D: Encountered Prob Dur Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gsw333, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gsw333

gsw333 Thread Starter

We are running Windows XP and get an error code upon booting up that says, "Setup error encountered during installation - Error code 000D". I normally go to the web to find assistance, but can't seem to find an answer this time. Most ask if I have a file called "Creator" or Roxio products installed on the computer. I have searched for these files, but haven't found any. I do have a SONIC program. And I do have Creative MediaSource, but I don't think these are the same. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Might be Sonic.

When did this begin?

Does the boot complete in Safe Mode without an error?

Try doing a "system restore" to a date prior to the problem.

Also try a "clean boot" >>

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup items" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us >> writen for Vista but applies just as well to XP

3. gsw333

gsw333 Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions... I am not sure when it started (maybe 2 weeks ago). I will try what you have suggested... and let you know. Thanks a bunch!

4. gsw333

gsw333 Thread Starter

Thanks for the clear and concise instructions. I am always a little uneasy about going into MSCONFIG... but THANKS so very much. The error code is finally gone and every program seems to work just fine. (y) I appreciate your help very much! Good day to you!! :)

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great, but what startup did you isolate it to, was it Sonic?

Keep in mind that if the problem was gone in the first "clean boot" with all Non-Microsoft startups and services disabled -- you are probably going to want to enable everything but the offending startup, although some may not really be needed.

6. gsw333

gsw333 Thread Starter

I actually didn't narrow it down to one. I narrowed it down to disabling both (2) Creative Media programs I had on the list. And I've started and restarted my system... as well as I've gone into many of the programs that we use regularly and assured that everything is running properly. And checked commonly used files and pics as well.

I have also kept the list of what was initially checked, so I can go back and change it if there is a problem.

Thanks so much. You're really terrific!

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice