1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Win XP Pro will not install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DJnRF, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DJnRF

DJnRF Thread Starter

I have purchased, and installed the following to a PC tower case.
    Biostar N68S+ Motherboard - GeForce 7025, Socket AM2+, USB, LAN, PCIe, MicroATXMPN: N68SPLUS, AMD AD5200OCK22GM Athlon X2 5200+ Processor - Dual Core, 1MB L2 Cache, 2.30GHz, Socket AM3, 65W, No Fan, OEM, Wintec 3AXT6400C5-2048 Ampx Desktop Memory Module - 2GB, PC2-6400, DDR2 800MHz, 5-5-5-15 CAS Latency,
    Western Digital AV RFHWD3200AVJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive,
    Seagate Barracuda ST3160316AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive,
    LG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS70 OEM - OEM,
    Also, a new 500W power supply, and a Mushkin DDR2 6400 2GB memory module.

After installation and BIOS setup I attempted to install Win XP Pro. In the attempt I get the
    following blue screen message after the XP CD has gone through the process to install, and is
    beginning to start.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your
    computer."

It then gives a msg about if it is the first time for that screen to try again, and if it still comes up
    to run Chkdsk F to check drive, and to check for viruses.

There is a further notation as follows:
    "Technical Information:
    *** STOP: 0x00000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I had sent the motherboard in for testing, and Biostar sent another. I had only installed one hard drive to
    start where it did load Windows and did work for several days while I was getting the other one. (The first installed was the 320GB WD.) After several days, and prior to my receipt of the new Seagate drive it had quit working and nothing seemed to recover it to open. With the new Seagate drive I disconnected the WD drive and hooked up the 160GB Seagate. I have made several attempts to load XP Pro on it, and then several tries to reload XP on the original WD drive. All was to no avail. I have always gotten that same blue screen and message. I also had only installed one DDR module. To further test I removed the
    first one, and installed the second. Still the same results .... Installation could not be made.

Each of the components is 'seen' by the system separately, and together in startup. I have even tried different BIOS configurations.

Does anyone have any idea of the problem?

Thanks, Dave.

2. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

huuh, do you have a bad copy of XP?
    Did you format the drives to proper formatting before install? I think ntsf is used nowadays for windows mostly.

This is just general, I don't know what those errors mean. lolz

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are installing XP on a newer board then you must provide the SATA drivers from a floppy disc or XP with either not recognize the hard drive or bluescreen with a 7b error code. The alternative to providing the drivers is to enter the BIOS setup and change the SATA controller mode from AHCI or RAID to IDE or Legacy mode.

4. DJnRF

DJnRF Thread Starter

Many years ago I was licensed by the FCC as a 1st Class Tech. I still did what I learned later that I should not do. In the radio com company I worked for I had a problem that took me and another tech three days of wasted time before my boss gave me some advice. He said: "When you get tired looking for the sublime, look to the ridiculous." THAT one thing got me thinking, and within a few minutes I had found the problem. The same thing goes here. I had tried everything I could think of, and find or given advice to do. Nothing worked. I finally thought that with everything new maybe it was something simple. I cleared the CMOS data, and went through the setup again. IT WORKED PERFECTLY!
    I want to thank Triple6 for jogging my memory of that advice of many
    years ago. Unfortunately, in my seventh decade of life it is getting much more difficult to remember such advice of more than fifty years ago.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's not likely to be a general solution for everyone, but at least we know what the CMOS defaults were on your machine. :D

6. DJnRF

DJnRF Thread Starter

You are right about that. I had tried everything I could think of, and a number of suggestions by others to no avail. Triple6 jogged my memory of what I had been told years before. So, I tried the simple and got it to work. Windows loaded and started ..... once. Now it is not booting. It seems that frustrations will never cease. lol

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

How far does it get? Any errors?

Was the date correct in BIOS? The battery must be pretty old, too.

8. DJnRF

DJnRF Thread Starter

The farthest I have been able to get in the boot sequence was just a few minutes ago. It is searching for an array. There is no RAID array for it to find, nor was that part setup in BIOS. Course, I haven't been able to get into setup again yet.

Nothing is 'old' in this system other than the floppy drive, and the case. Everything else is new and just put together in the past couple of days. And, yes, the date is correct.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Should we "unsolve" this thread, or do you want to work on it a while and maybe open a new one for this problem?

10. DJnRF

DJnRF Thread Starter

I have encountered the problem before when a PC OS would not boot due to seeking an array that wasn't there. If my mind gets to working I should get that cleared up. If not, I can again start a thread for more suggestions.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds good. I'll leave you and your memory to come to some understanding with one another. Good luck. We'll be here. [​IMG]

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice